Skip to main content

Transition isn’t always a quick stage in life.

I was thinking how I was writing this blog in a way to capture my thoughts and feelings as I journey through life…and that even when not much is happening, it’s valid and good to jot down a few thoughts that I can look back on when this stage of transition has transitioned into something less transitional (I hope I’m using the word ”transition” correctly). Anyway, transition is exciting because it means that there is something new ahead, but it is frustrating because I’m not there yet.

I am still in the waiting process. Although I am not waiting for God to show me the way, I am waiting to hear from IHOP-KC if I can come there on staff. Being international means the whole process is a bit more complicated. I wait patiently and I rest in peace and reassurance that God is truly in control. I admit that I do have moments of being tired of waiting and wanting to find something else which isn’t so complicated. But then I remember that I have decided to obey God, and that it means I am to wait and trust in Him.
As always, even though it’s more then a year since I left, Brazil frequently comes to mind. Some days more, some days less. I keep forgetting that the largest part of my adult life lived yet was in Fortaleza. And that a huge part of people close to me are still there. In Barcelona I found I kept being reminded of Brazil. The culture, the warmth (both in people and weather), the food, the way the city was built, so many things. Sometimes it almost felt as if I was back in my beloved Brazil.

This last weekend was no different. I headed up north (for me, mid-Norway for those who look at the map) to a city called Trondheim to interpret a wedding for a YWAM couple from Norwegian to Portuguese (she is Norwegian and he is from Brazil). It was such a lovely weekend. I was staying at the bride’s house and so was the groom’s family. I loved getting to know the group of Brazilians who had come for the wedding. To my great surprise I realized that my Portuguese hadn’t really gotten any worse for lack of using it, and it didn’t take long to get back into chattering away. I felt so blessed by the whole weekend, and so encouraged too. People were so lovely at making a point of telling me what a good job I was doing, and I thanked them warmly. As one put it ”I don’t need a rose when I’m dead”- meaning: it’s better to receive encouragement and good words while alive because when we’re dead we can’t enjoy them. It was a busy weekend with little sleep and lots to do (I also interpreted the Brazilian pastor at a church meeting Sunday morning after getting to bed at 3 am on the previous night). Still I loved it!

I didn’t love quite as much the 4 hour delay of my flight home which got me home at around 3 or 4 am instead of 11pm. But that’s life!

Back home I have thrown myself into the task of redecorating my room/ the guestroom with my mum. It’s quite a big task, but nice to have a project going! I am making it a creamy white colour with earth coloured acessories (to match my boat painting from Fortaleza that everyone wanted to buy from me when I was moving- obviously I didn’t sell it but brought it back home and got a new frame put on it).
Life goes on. I keep on transitioning and replying: ”I am not sure”, when asked ”you’re still here?”. I am grateful that I know where I’m headed and I keep reminding myself of the fact that a few months isn’t much in the large scope of things. So I continue going through life, and I continue jotting down my thoughts and reflections, mostly for myself…

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the 17th of May. But for any Norwegian, this particular date isn't like any other date in the year, it's the 4th of July of Norway. And this year I am actually here. However, some preparations had to be done to get ready for tomorrow. One was getting my national costume down from the loft. I got it a few days ago and tried it on. It's a wee bit tight, but I think it'll be fine. This evening I ironed (or rather started ironing) the blouse which is hand embroydered and made of linnen (so those of you who have a clue about fabrics, know that linnen is the opposite of no-crease material). And the second part of the preparation was polishing the silver. I tried the "foil-in-hot-water-with-salt" method, but I don't think it worked too well. I did a bit of polishing with toothpaste after that and it looks alright. At the end of the day I'm the only one who will notice the level of polishedness of my silver. I have also got my camera on charging re...

On the move again...

As I walked wheeling the trolley containing two suitcases and a rucksack (belonging to my middle brother who has bought himself a new one) I felt tears stinging in my eyes and threatening to push their way out. I suddenly felt so very small and the airport so very big. I’d got off my 45 minute flight from Sola to Oslo, got my bags from the baggage claim (the airline I flew with lets you decide how many bags of luggage you want to take against a small fee, and so I was able to bring not one suitcase weighing 20 kilos, but a suitcase and a rucksack), bought my train ticket for the last leg of my journey, and was walking along in search of a cup of coffee and a waffle to kill the half hour till the train. Walking along I caught myself thinking about this new stage in life. I wondered why this move up to the YWAM base here in Norway seemed so huge, when moving to Brazil obviously was a bigger move, at least further away. And then it occurred to me that when I’d been travelling back and for...

It’s been one week.

A week ago we were sitting at work talking about how quickly the Corona situation was escalating. News of closed gyms and limited gatherings were there, and we were wondering what now. Only the day before we’d been open, and while taking the hygiene precautions and reminding each other to not hug or shake hands, there was a sense of support in each other, and normality was still there. Then suddenly it all changed. From being a crisis in China and Asia, then Italy, it had well and truly arrived in Norway. Friday morning we sat in our staff meeting. News of the closing of all schools and kindergartens for two weeks had come the evening before. We sat there with so many questions and few answers. The one thing we knew for sure was that this was a time to be available and present. A time to be proactive, and to make sure our people knew that we were there even if we weren’t open. That day we made many phone calls and sent messages and emails. Some were worried and needed reassurance,...