Skip to main content

In transit.

It’s funny how something really so simple can turn into such a big thing which makes you stressed. This week felt like such a long week. House-hunting added into that did not make me peaceful and serene. However, it should have been fine. Logically there is nothing to worry about. There are plenty of people renting out rooms, and even more importantly I have a God who is totally committed to me and to me having somewhere to live. Still, logic and feelings aren’t always on the same page. I let my friends know I needed a place to live, sent out emails to a bunch of people on a housing list, and went to look at a few places. Not quite knowing if the girls I live with now wanted to find a place together or not kind of made it a wee bit harder to look, because I wasn’t sure if I was wanting 1,2 or 3 rooms. But we’ve worked that out in the end, and the result is that I do have a house I’m potentially moving in to at the end of the month. I wish I could move sooner, but it seems a bit of a waste to pay double rent for a few weeks as my current landlady needed 30 days notice (I think I misunderstood a bit along the way there, but hey, it’s fine).

I was telling friends yesterday that I feel like I’m in transit…no longer really landed in the house I’m in (which I never really was anyway), yet still not able to “settle” at my new place since I’ve not moved there. And the whole prospect of moving just brings to the surface the longing to not be moving so much, to stay in one place for just a bit longer, to not be doing everything alone.

And yet, I continue to be one who is “seeking for a homeland”…

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the 17th of May. But for any Norwegian, this particular date isn't like any other date in the year, it's the 4th of July of Norway. And this year I am actually here. However, some preparations had to be done to get ready for tomorrow. One was getting my national costume down from the loft. I got it a few days ago and tried it on. It's a wee bit tight, but I think it'll be fine. This evening I ironed (or rather started ironing) the blouse which is hand embroydered and made of linnen (so those of you who have a clue about fabrics, know that linnen is the opposite of no-crease material). And the second part of the preparation was polishing the silver. I tried the "foil-in-hot-water-with-salt" method, but I don't think it worked too well. I did a bit of polishing with toothpaste after that and it looks alright. At the end of the day I'm the only one who will notice the level of polishedness of my silver. I have also got my camera on charging re...

On the move again...

As I walked wheeling the trolley containing two suitcases and a rucksack (belonging to my middle brother who has bought himself a new one) I felt tears stinging in my eyes and threatening to push their way out. I suddenly felt so very small and the airport so very big. I’d got off my 45 minute flight from Sola to Oslo, got my bags from the baggage claim (the airline I flew with lets you decide how many bags of luggage you want to take against a small fee, and so I was able to bring not one suitcase weighing 20 kilos, but a suitcase and a rucksack), bought my train ticket for the last leg of my journey, and was walking along in search of a cup of coffee and a waffle to kill the half hour till the train. Walking along I caught myself thinking about this new stage in life. I wondered why this move up to the YWAM base here in Norway seemed so huge, when moving to Brazil obviously was a bigger move, at least further away. And then it occurred to me that when I’d been travelling back and for...

It’s been one week.

A week ago we were sitting at work talking about how quickly the Corona situation was escalating. News of closed gyms and limited gatherings were there, and we were wondering what now. Only the day before we’d been open, and while taking the hygiene precautions and reminding each other to not hug or shake hands, there was a sense of support in each other, and normality was still there. Then suddenly it all changed. From being a crisis in China and Asia, then Italy, it had well and truly arrived in Norway. Friday morning we sat in our staff meeting. News of the closing of all schools and kindergartens for two weeks had come the evening before. We sat there with so many questions and few answers. The one thing we knew for sure was that this was a time to be available and present. A time to be proactive, and to make sure our people knew that we were there even if we weren’t open. That day we made many phone calls and sent messages and emails. Some were worried and needed reassurance,...