Skip to main content

Hurrah! For the 17th of May!!



17th of May.

The day the whole of Norway go into the streets to celebrate.

Norway's birthday.

The day we got our constitution.

The 17th of May really is a very special day for Norway. I guess you could say it's Norway's version of the Brazilian carnival, only different. In Brazil the big question every year during the carnival is how many people got killed, and if the numbers are higher or lower than last year (the image transmitted by the media to the world only shows part of what carnival is all about). Thinking about it, it is also similar to the Brazilian 7th of September, but different.

It is hard to explain what this day is like. It’s one of those “have to be there” days. And since I hadn’t been in Norway for it since 2000, it was good to be reminded.

At 9 am I got into the car and set off to pick up my brother, who had very kindly agreed to come with me to watch the first parade. As I drove along I saw flags (the Norwegian one, in case you wondered), swaying towards the bright, blue sky. People walking towards the town center were dressed up in national costumes and suits, carrying small flags to wave to friends and acquaintances in the parade. After successfully picking up my brother (I only made one wrong turn, or rather didn’t turn when I should have), we parked the car at the house, and strolled down to the town center. Finding a nice spot we watched as the first parade walked past us. The first parade is in the morning, and it’s where all the schools participate, together with their brass bands. It was lovely, even without knowing anyone in the parade, to watch as the children and adolescents sang their hearts out. And it was lovely to watch some of them getting otherwise distracted by people and the task of marching ahead and not to the sides. Though I don’t know if you would call it marching, it was more like moving forward in a flock for many of them.

Now, some people might think that a day where we celebrate Norway, could end up being a very exclusive celebration, and a very negative experience for people from other countries and cultures. But it’s the complete opposite. I think the 17th of May is the most inclusive day of the year, a day where it doesn’t matter who you are or where you’re from, you’re welcome to join the celebration.

After a leisurely lunch at my aunt and uncles, my brother and I drove to his house to catch up with his wife who’d been to work. After some deliberation we decided to head down to the city center of Stavanger (“wait a minute”, I hear some of you ask, “but don’t you live in Stavanger?” No I don’t. I live in a town close to Stavanger called Sandnes) to watch the second parade. The second parade is in the afternoon, and is the opportunity for clubs, societies, and organisations to be seen and creative; e.g. sports-clubs, scouts, gymnastics. After finding a parkingspace quite quickly, we headed down to where the parade was happening. Arriving a tad late, we only got to see the last 10 minutes, which was enough to get the jist of it. We saw some very clever jugglers from the juggling society, and some salsa dancers dancing along.

After the parade had ended, we joined the sea of people, which had filled the city center. Walking around, absorbing the atmosphere, we even caught a parachute show at the lake in the middle of the center. It was really good, although landing in the dirty water did not seem very tempting.

In the early evening I then went along with my brother and sister-in-law to some friends of theirs, and it was a lovely ending to a lovely day.




Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o