Skip to main content

On the move again...

As I walked wheeling the trolley containing two suitcases and a rucksack (belonging to my middle brother who has bought himself a new one) I felt tears stinging in my eyes and threatening to push their way out. I suddenly felt so very small and the airport so very big. I’d got off my 45 minute flight from Sola to Oslo, got my bags from the baggage claim (the airline I flew with lets you decide how many bags of luggage you want to take against a small fee, and so I was able to bring not one suitcase weighing 20 kilos, but a suitcase and a rucksack), bought my train ticket for the last leg of my journey, and was walking along in search of a cup of coffee and a waffle to kill the half hour till the train.

Walking along I caught myself thinking about this new stage in life. I wondered why this move up to the YWAM base here in Norway seemed so huge, when moving to Brazil obviously was a bigger move, at least further away. And then it occurred to me that when I’d been travelling back and forth to Fortaleza I was only really travelling between the two places I called home. Now I was moving to something new and unknown, and that is daunting for most people (at least people like me). I was glad to have had that revelation, as I couldn’t understand why it had seemed like such a huge deal to be packing up and setting off.

After a 50-minute train ride I managed to drag my many items of luggage off the train and was met by Tove who was at the train station to pick me it. It was lovely to see a friendly and familiar face greet me. We took the scenic route from the train station at Stange to Grimerud (the YWAM base) and I was educated in the location of many key places along the way (which are interspersed by cornfields, this is the true Norwegian country side!).

On arrival at Hybelhuset, my home for the next few months, I was met by many friendly faces, and was also struck by how lovely the room I was assigned to was. I was well chuffed and it even has a cupboard for my clothes and a few small shelves. I very good improvement to what met me when I first arrived in Fortaleza, where I was met by a bed with a very thin mattress and not much more.

After a cup of tea (can’t go too long without one of those) and a nice chat with some of my housemates, I got to unpacking, which took all of, let me see, maybe an hour. It took far longer to pack my belongings than to unpack them. And they are all now nicely deposited in the various storage opportunities available in my room.

It feels very good to be here. Today we had a great introduction day for new staff, which I was a part of. We did a fun ice breaker in the beginning where everyone had given a phrase about themselves in advance which was compiled to a list we all received, the task being to find out which phrase belonged to whom without asking directly. My phrase was that I’ve met the stunt double for superman, which is true by the way. “How?” you might ask. Well, when I worked with Operation Year in Plymouth in 2000 we were part of a performance thing based around Cliff Richard’s, then very famous, “Millennium Prayer” song. Our part was doing a dramatization of a text about the city (which I thought was very cool). One of the leads in this performance was a man who had been the stunt double for Christopher Reeve in Superman IV I think it was. So there you go, my (small) claim to fame, if you can call it that.

After having bonded and been introduced to lots of base information, plus eaten lots of nice food and cups of coffee, I went for an afternoon bike ride to the lake with a few people from the base here. It’s been at least more than 12 years since I rode a bike, but it’s not for nothing that we use the saying “it’s like riding a bike”. I really did remember how to do it still, even if I was a bit scared at times and the trip there was at a slower speed than the trip back.

Sat here I am feeling content after what I would call a very good day. And I feel hopeful for what this next part of my journey will be filled with while I’m here and what God will share with me about the way forward as I seek Him.


Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o