Skip to main content

Dazed peace.

I was thinking about how to describe how I’m doing here. I think dazed peace is a good expression (although I am not quite sure if it’ll mean the same to everyone, but it’s a good state). It feels like I’ve already been here for ages, yet it’s been less than a week. It’s funny how that happens, full days kind of make you feel like a day is more than one day. When you look back on the time that has passed, because so much has happened, your mind assumes that more time has passed then actually has.

I am staying in a flat in the cellar of a big house. Upstairs the couple that manages the house lives. I share the flat with two lovely women. One of them is a teacher and teaches 2-year olds (the other day we watched this really cute film about Samuel she was going to show her little pupils, and it was very funny, yet brought out the Bible in a simple way). The other one is a student at the FSM Bible School here at IHOP-KC. We get on so well. They are gifts from God, and I am so grateful that I can have good housemates and live in a house where I relax and don’t have to feel like I’m a guest. The flat is quite dark (being in the cellar does that) and it’s fully carpeted, even in the kitchen and bathroom. This is quite a new experience for a hardwood-floors-everywhere Norwegian, but it’s quite nice as it makes it cosy. The flat is also super-clean and tidy. I almost feel afraid I’ll mess it up, but not really. It’s not an obsessive cleanness, but we just keep it clean and tidy.

My housemates have introduced me to some very traditional American dishes. One of them made spicy black beans and rice for me on Saturday (you might think there is something very familiar about that combination of food, and to put your mind at rest, yes, beans and rice is are the staple foods of Brazil…although they don’t really spice them up). The other made me grits and eggs yesterday. Grits (if I understood correctly) are made of corn ground to a bit smaller then rice, and cooked with water and made into a sort of porridge with butter and seasoning. It was very nice also. She also made cinnamon rolls. And you won’t believe this, but it’s true, you can buy a can of uncooked cinnamon rolls here, which you simply take out and put in the oven to cook for 18 minutes and then you have fresh cinnamon rolls. My jaw dropped when I saw her open this can and take them out. I could not believe my eyes. I have never seen anything like it!!! Of course a photo was taken as proof. I will have to make Norwegian cinnamon rolls for them sometime (i.e. the kind where you make the dough, let it rise, roll out the dough and make the rolls, let them rise, and then cook them in the oven).

To get to the main prayer room it’s a 20-minute walk. From my previous experience of the USA (i.e. 10 days here in October, so not much to compare with) I am pleasantly surprised that there is actually a pavement (read: sidewalk if you’re American) for half of the way. The rest is walking on lawns next to a busy road, but it’s fine. On Thursday I ventured out for the first time on my own (not that I would have really headed out as soon as I had arrived late Wednesday night). The weather wasn’t at its best and it was snowing and cold. Still, being a tough Norwegian I put on my long scarf and my gloves, and set off towards the prayer room. Halfway there a school bus stops next to me and asks me if I want a lift (the driver offered the lift, as we do know that busses don’t actually talk unless they’re in a cartoon). And so I was dropped off just outside the prayer room, which was a real blessing.

It is amazing to be back in the prayer room. There is something about this place which makes it easy to rest and be with God. There isn’t any pressure for anything. I can come and join in with what they are praying for or just sit. Or read my Bible, or write in my journal, or (as I am doing now) write my blog, do email, anything really. It’s a good atmosphere to be in.

This is turning into a long report, but it’s good to write down these impressions, as I know that in a few months’ time they won’t be as vivid as they are now.

One final reflection to end. I was at church yesterday and one of the things that they prayed for was for a revelation of how to be in the prayer movement and also be a missionary in the nations. That was so spot on for my heart. That is what I would like to know how to do. If you could have what they have here and do what I did in Fortaleza together, it would be amazing.

I am well! I still feel a bit dazed and there are still many impressions for my little blond head to take in. But I have peace. A good peace because it truly is good to be here!

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o