Skip to main content

Reflections on jetlag, a whirlwind and then sunshine.

I suddenly realised I hadn’t actually posted this litte bit, so I will include it as an introduction to today’s post. Written on 22 April:
“Well, I’ve been home for 5 days now and you would think that I would have gotten into the time zone I’m in. But no, I still feel like I’m on USA time. Last night I went to bed around 3 am, and got up around 11:30 am today. Come to think about it, it’d be useful if I were doing the “Night Watch”, but I’m not. It doesn’t really matter at the moment as I don’t have anything pressing that I need to do in the morning, but it would be handy to get back to a rhythm that “normal” people have. Tomorrow should take care of it though as I have to get on a train at 6:16 am to head up to YWAM Grimerud for a prayer conference.”

As I got up to get the train at the “decent” hour of 5 am it felt a bit like being back at IHOP-KC. There I used to leave at 5:50 am, so leaving at 5:55 am wasn’t too far off. After a 10 hour trainjourney (including a few hours on the “bus for train” because of railtrack problems), I arrived at Grimerud (YWAM). It was a long journey. That’s all I can say. Long. Although, when I was waiting for my trainconnection in Oslo I saw this lady go up to a young boy and ask for money. Sat opposite I witnessed the whole scene, and it blessed my heart. The lady was speaking English and had some story about needing money for food or something. The young man was very polite and let her speak. He then responded that he wouldn’t give money, but did she want some food? The positive response led him to get a whole bunch of bananas out of his rucksack and give them to her. I was blessed by the respect and dignity he showed this lady. It made me hopeful for the generation growing up (although I am not that much older then them).

The prayer conference I went to at Grimerud was very good. I even got to share a bit about “Human Trafficking” which went ok. It’s an issue I carry in my heart and it was good to have an opportunity to share my heart. I also got a chance to share at the base prayer day about intimacy with Jesus. Quite a lot of speaking in front of people for a week, especially taking into consideration that I really don’t feel comfortable in front of people. But hey, when I am weak God is strong!

The time at Grimerud was also a good time of meeting people I have come to love, and catch up with them. I felt so very loved and welcome. Time was short, but I managed to squeeze in having coffee at several peoples’ houses! I had a really good chat with my leaders looking at where the journey goes next. It is so good to have wise people to help me in figuring out the way forward. The conclusion we reached is that God is directing me to go back to IHOP-KC, this time for a bit longer period of time. And go back with a special focus on getting involved in the issue of Human Trafficking. It is a time to be a “voice for the voiceless”. There are still many details to sort out and I don’t think I’ll be going till August at the earliest. But it’s good to know where I’m headed in the future because it makes it easier to organise my steps in the present.

With the whirlwind of a time at Grimerud ending, I arrived home with direction, but no details. So that is what I am doing now. Making contact, getting information, and taking things one step at a time. I know God’s direction, and I am doing my part in getting there.

And while I am in this process of going back to the States, I decided it was good to not just sit around, but do something useful with my time (and save up some money at the same time). So last weekend I sat writing my CV. It was strange because I handn’t had to write one for years, and it was a bit challenging to figure out how to word and set out the whole thing. I’d gotten some tips about possible openings for jobs, and so I neatly folded and sent off some applications yesterday. Now I am just waiting to see if I hear back from any of them.

I am quite content to wait, at least for a few days, as we are having absolutely stunning weather at the moment. I think the fact that I was sunbathing on our varanda for several hours today says a lot! The sunshine (and also being back home with less of a whizzing around) makes me miss Fortaleza. Today I was updating the blog for “My Father’s House” (http://casademeupai.blogspot.com/), and part of me just longed to get stuck into seeing God’s Kingdom come in that city. But I know that God has other things for me, and I also know that God’s best is the best.
So there you go. Two weeks nicely typed into a little blog-post. It’s exciting to go through life with God, and I find the biggest challenge is to remain at peace and trust in Him. History shows that He is ALWAYS faithful, and so I know that He will continue to be faithful to me in this next season of life.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o