Skip to main content

So much for frequent snippets…

Well, as I opened my blog today I realised that it’s been a while since last I wrote. There has been plenty to write about, I just haven’t done it. Oh well.

So here I am sat in my room. A set from the prayer room yesterday, meditating on Psalm 139, is playing in my ears so I find I’m switching between listening and writing which is a good way to write a blog (although maybe not the most time efficient, but I have time; I’m doing my laundry so I’m stuck in the house for a few hours). At the moment the chorus being sung over and over again is: “Nothing in all creating is hidden from the sight of God. Everything in all creation is laid bare before your eyes.”

I am sat on a pillow on the floor with another pillow resting against my bed to support my back. My bed is kind of rickety (I think that’s the right word) and has wheels under it, so I can’t sit in it leaning towards the wall (it’s a little bit strange…). So in want of a nice, comfortable chair I can lounge in, I am sat on the floor (I am keeping my eyes open when I go past garage sales in case someone is selling such a chair). My laptop is stood on top of my laundry basket turned upside down which is the perfect height as a make-do table when sat on the floor. Behind me I feel the cool breeze from my partly open window, which is competing with the central heating blasting out on the wall in front of me to decide which of them will determine the temperature in the room (I had to open the window as it was getting too warm in my room and fresh air is always good).

I am still waiting for some things to come through before I can plunge into life as a full-time staff here at IHOP-KC. It’s good and hard to be waiting. I know that there is a purpose with all things, but at the same time I’d just like to get stuck in. As I told someone yesterday; I have good days and frustrating days. The last few days have been good. I think not getting a proper schedule (I write “proper”, because I have made myself a kind of a schedule to keep my days from disappearing, and those of you who know me from my Fortaleza days know that I have plenty of experience in making agendas…one of my good friends there used to call me: “a menina do papel” meaning “the girl with papers”).

I had some good days, but then the wave of culture shock and frustration hit me again. Nothing much happened, just a heaviness and an emptiness in a sense. And then there were some things with the house going on and that just got to me. I went to the prayer room (a good place to let off steam without ending up saying the wrong thing to someone) and just poured out my heart to God. As I sat there I was able to get things a bit more into perspective. I took some “deep breaths” (not literally) and realised that it wasn’t so much the little issues that upset me, but rather everything combined. So I sat there and just let it flow over me once again (I am getting really good at just sitting the waves out…maybe I should try surfing…). It’s quite draining, but I imagine that as things become less foreign and more familiar it’ll get better.

One exciting thing is that one of my housemates also wants to go to the gym. I would not define myself as an exercise junkie by any means (I think that would be an insult to those who are), but I know that I feel so much better if I can exercise a few times a week. So far I’ve gone for a few walks, but as the weather gets colder (i.e. very cold) it won’t be very motivating to head out into icy winds and snow. So, my housemate and I checked out the local YMCA fitness centre. They gave us a tour and it’s a small gym, but has a pool, all the weight and running equipment and a small area where they do classes. When we asked about the prices they told us they do an evaluation based on income and expenses, and since we’re IHOPers that also helps, so probably it will be very reasonable. I am excited. Even if I can’t get to the classes, just running (or rather walking very speedily) for an hour a few times a week will make a huge difference and keep me healthier!

I went plant shopping with one of my old housemates the other day and it was so nice! I now have 5 live (you can get a lot of fake/ real-looking plants here, but I really want the live ones) plants bringing life and colour to my room. Plus I also have a basil plant for the kitchen, which is a more appropriate place for practical purposes.

Today I went to the meeting for the evangelism department here at IHOP-KC. Even if I’m not really an evangelist, I love Jesus and love people, and anyone is allowed to come, so I went. It was really good! I got so inspired! The guy who spoke basically worked at Starbucks and would prophesy to people coming in there (let me know if you want to know more). It was great!
What else? What else do I not want to let fade into the past never to be remembered… I think that’s it. I was thinking today how perfect God is. Looking at the people I’m meeting and the different things I’m ending up going to (home group, a prayer time for justice the other day, the meeting today, church, etc.) I see how God is linking me up and opening my eyes to more and more of what IHOP-KC is about and things which connect with my heart! It is really exciting me, and as I write this I am even encouraging myself (isn’t that amazing how it is possible to even encourage yourself without intending to). I need to remember this on those days when I am being overwhelmed and questioning why I am here, because I know without doubt that this is the place God wants me to be, and in that I can rest.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o