Skip to main content

Two things unwise to do when the weather is cold!

Kansas City is COLD!!! We’ve had days of temperatures as low as (and probably lower if you ask me) –17 degrees Celsius! It is so cold!! In the midst of the coldest days, for about a week actually, I just couldn’t seem to manage to heat up my room. The rest of the house was nice and toasty, but for some reason (which I later discovered what was) my room stayed freezing cold. At first I thought it was because I had two outer walls (but the neighbouring room also has that), or because the heating vents weren’t working properly (but one of them does work). My final theory was that the windows were very badly insulated and couldn’t keep the cold out (or warm in). Little did I know that I was on the right track, but hadn’t quite got it completely.

Anyway, one day I was sat reading with a little heater blasting heat right at me, and detected a cold breeze coming from the window. I decided I had to go investigate, as I couldn’t believe that the windows were so bad they actually let a tangible breeze through. I went over to the window and looked behind the blind. To my great surprise I found that the window was wide open halfway (I have those windows you slide up and down rather then open out). No wonder it was cold! I managed to pull it shut and lock it and my room quickly heated up after that.

Now, how did the window open itself in the first time you might wonder? There is no proof, but my theory is that my friend who’s been visiting opened the window one day and then didn’t secure the lock properly (it’s a bit tricky) when she shut it, and that’s how it slid down again- but I’m not pointing any fingers. I’m just glad to have a liveable room again! (some nights I was so cold I couldn’t sleep, even after putting thick woollen socks on and having two blankets over me).

The other thing I learnt during these extremely cold temperatures is that it isn’t a good idea to go outside with wet hair. Now, like most of you I’ve always heard that you “shouldn’t go outside with wet hair”, but haven’t ever really paid much attention to it. Until now! One morning I’d washed my hair and set off to the prayer room at a bit before 7 am as usual. As I start walking I hear this “crunch” sound and realise that my hair has totally frozen to ice!! It was weird, and I quickly put my hood on and broke into speed-walking as opposed to strolling along. My main focus was getting into the warmth again. I was also a tad worried a) that my hair would break when it was frozen and hence give me a new unwanted hairstyle, and b) that it would get really deeply frozen and take ages to thaw. You will be relieved to know that neither happened, and my hair defrosted pretty quickly once I got inside. Still, it’s a lesson I will carry with me- I have learnt to value hair dryers even if I think they take too much time.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o