Skip to main content

Finally some more writing...

Sunday 12 July 2009

Beautiful skies and a beautiful life.

Sat here in my living room in Norway looking out at the sky. There are thick grey clouds with a pink colour in the background shining through. It’s beautiful and I’ve never noticed something like that before. Been meaning to write my blog for, well almost a month now. And now I am. No excuses…life is too short to walk around feeling burdened by the things I haven’t got round to do, especially as I am doing them. Whether or not I finish this post today is another issue…probably not since it’s already late and I’ve got an early start tomorrow.

That said, yes, I am in Norway. Got a couple of weeks holiday at home, which is lovely. Although the warm sunny weather seems to have taken a break since arriving. I wonder where it went? My youngest brother, Magnus, got married on the 4th of July, and so I obviously had to come home for that. Funny, I live in the USA, yet come home to Norway on the 4th of July. It was a great wedding with lots of laughter and tears.

So what’s been happening the last month…well, I’ve been doing a lot of praying, prophesying, seeking God, reading the Bible, talking to people, getting to know people better…it’s been good. The last months have been good.

Saturday 25 July 2009

Back to writing….

So, after a whirlwind two-and-a-half weeks in Norway I landed at Kansas City International Airport on Monday. It’s good to be back to “normality” again and it’s been good to catch up with people again. I am so blessed with lovely friendships here.

Norway was so good. I loved hanging out with my wee niece who is just the cutest little girl in the world, and I loved having time with friends and family. It was a real treat and although the weather got colder and it rained quite a bit while I was there, it still felt like a summer holiday.

Travelling back was really smooth, although it felt a bit touch-and-go for a moment when I ended up queuing for an hour at immigration and got to the gate for my flight just as they were going to board. But even there it worked out fine.

The day after I got home I got an email from my landlady saying she’s selling the house. Nice news to get at the start of a couple of weeks away from Kansas City, but it was fine. And I really trust in God to find me a new place to live. Being back there are some options and I just want to find the right place. It makes such a difference where you live and even if my life is a busy life and in the week I’m not home much, it’s still important to have people you get on with in your house. So I am looking and praying and trusting. And I’m excited to see where I’ll end up. Hopefully somewhere nice.

I’ve been pondering quite a bit recently. And just realizing what a privilege, yet huge responsibility it is being here at IHOP-KC, ministering to people coming through. It’s so precious yet quite daunting to know that by praying for people I am really impacting their lives. Even just a short time of ministering can transform someone’s life. Not because of me, but because of Christ. Yesterday I was working in the healing rooms and a quite a few children were getting prayer. My heart was filled with such a desperation for them. A desperation to see these children free from sickness. A desperation for them to walk into the life that lies ahead of them healthy and whole. I suppose what I’m feeling is just a new level of determinedness to see healings and see what it talks about in the Bible actually walked out here, today.

Anyway, I’m going to post this so I don’t end up with a half-written thing lying around for weeks. Off to EGS (Encounter God Service) in a minute to hear Stuart Greaves speak on End Times. It should be good.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o