Skip to main content

How do you navigate through a whirlwind?

A few days ago I was rushing to get to the prayer room at 5:45 am (it’s funny how things just go s l o w e r in the morning). Anyway, a young lad wearing a fluorescent yellow reflex-vest walking a tiny little dog passes me. I imagine he was a dog-walker rather then dog-owner. And I started wondering what life as a dog-walker is like. I mean, who am I to say that his life is pretty straightforward and easy, it might very well not be, but I made me think how much less confusing my life would be if that was what I did: walked dogs in the early hours of the morning…

These past weeks I’ve had the distinct feeling of having to keep up with my life as there’s been so much happening and so many shifts and changes, it’s quite overwhelming if I stop to think about it, which I don’t. Think? Who has time to think? Sat here drinking my PG tips tea with milk and eating cereal I don’t even know the name of (some friends left town and left me their left-over food) I think I probably should go to bed as it’s nearing midnight…but then I thought it would be nice to have at least a little record of the whirlwind, so I decided that sleep can wait. Who needs sleep anyway, right? Especially as I will only be sleeping another 3 nights in this house.

Yes, I am moving. Sunday is the big moving day. But let me just do a quick (or slower) summary of some of the things happening lately which bring me to today, and consequently to Sunday.

I found a house to live in, which I hope will feel like home, at least for a season. Although it didn’t end up being a very long-winded process to find somewhere, the week I was emailing and looking was a long week! It’s a pretty nice house with 3 bedrooms + 2 in the basement. It’s got a good feel and one of my current housemates is also moving in, so there’ll be at least one person I know…and the opportunity to get to know 3 others. So Sunday we’re moving. The landlady of my current house is slowly but surely emptying the house so the last few weeks have been quite unsettled here. I wouldn’t want anyone to go into my room at the moment, as there’s stuff everywhere. It’ll be good to get settled in the new house.

A Norwegian friend of mine here in Kansas City is getting married on Saturday so I’m helping her with different things. We actually baked two kransekaker (traditional Norwegian cake used for weddings and special occasions) from scratch. We even ground the almonds and rolled out the rings. The cake consists of 18 rings of cake made from a dough with almonds, powdered sugar, and egg whites. It is so nice, and today we assembled it! It looks great! And it was exciting to actually manage to make a cake we usually just buy readymade in Norway. Apart from baking and bringing some food, I’m going to read Psalm 23 in Norwegian in the service and do some games at the reception. I am a wee bit nervous about the games bit because it’s a big wedding and I’m not one who thrives on standing in front of large groups of people- but it’s a good challenge, and I know it’s going to be fun to bring in a bit of Norwegian tradition in an American wedding.

So that’s Saturday. Sunday I’m moving, and Sunday afternoon I have a potluck BBQ. My amazing leader, Michelle, is moving to Florida, and so we’re getting together to say goodbye. I am going to miss her so much! She has been such an inspiration and bottom line, what we all are left with is that the prophetic is about a man named Jesus. It’s all about Jesus.

Yeah, so the last weeks have been full of adjusting to all the changes happening both in ministry, with people, moving, planning to move, people coming and going…more then enough changes to fill a year, let alone a few short weeks. But it’s been an opportunity to carry my heart well in the midst of a whirlwind. Knowing this week would be challenging I asked God to help me not get stressed or complain. I want to walk in peace; the peace Jesus had when He slept in the boat in the midst of a storm. I want to have a heart that is carried well, and I want to be someone who is anchored in Jesus, no matter how much shifting and changing happens around me. I’m far from being there, but I’m working on it, and it’s a good journey.

All that said, it is now technically tomorrow, so I think sleep is a good idea. I haven’t managed to sleep well the last few nights, but my eyelids are getting heavier and so I think I might just take advantage of that and hope to get a good night’s sleep tonight.

Hopefully I won’t wait this long till my next update, but you never know.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o