Skip to main content

Some thoughts I had today about adoption...

Yesterday in our small group we listened to a message about the Spirit of Adoption. It was powerful and with everything that has happened recently it hits home even harder. God is a God of adoption, and if I am praying for life, praying for abortion to end, then the result is going to be that more babies are born into families that don’t want them or aren’t able to care for them. So what is the solution to that? Adoption. What if a million families decided to adopt one child each, imagine what that would do? That was one of the points put forth in the message. It seems almost impossible, yet so possible. On Saturday we had a memorial service here at IHOP-KC for one of the main advocates for adoption in our community. He was killed only 37 years old in a car accident just before Christmas. He didn’t just speak in favour of adoption, he lived it. Him and his wife had adopted 8 children, 3 with special needs. That is the heart of God. And God is a God of adoption. In the Bible it talks about the spirit of adoption and how God adopts us into His family. Adoption means legally belonging- we legally belong to God and are part of His family through adoption. The same way, when earthly families adopt children the children are no longer separate, but are part of that family. They belong.

And then I started thinking about this children’s home in Fortaleza, Tia Julia, where so many children live. They are taken as good care of as you can within the restraints of an institution, but there is a limit to how much love and attention can be given to each one, and at the end of the day it can never replace the love of a real family. While I worked in Fortaleza I remember going there several times in connection with specific cases. Knowing the mothers of several of the children there, my heart was torn so many times. On one side there was the plight of the mother to not want to give up her child for adoption; wanting to keep the door open for that moment when her life would be better and she could take care of her child. And yet seeing months and years pass knowing that the child was growing up to know institution as home, and knowing that there were families who were eager to adopt and become family to the child. There are no easy solutions. My heart still feels so torn even as I hear of different cases that come up in different settings; knowing that the best interest of the child always has to take priority, yet having walked alongside mothers on the other side who so desperately want to cling to the hope that “one day…” they will be able to be mothers to their children.

As we ended our small group we were challenged to reflect what part we are meant to play in this movement of adoption. How am I meant to walk out the spirit of adoption in a practical way at this time in my life? Am I supposed to come alongside a family who is adopting or who has adopted? Or am I meant to simply take a stand in intercession for life knowing that means also praying for adoption, praying that the church would rise up and be the solution to the unwanted children of this earth? I’ll start in the place of intercession and see where it goes from there…

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o