Skip to main content

Created to live in freedom.

After getting the rental car we filled a cooler box with ice and after getting a few supplies at Safeway we set off to the beach which was the activity for the day. It was a nice drive although I am realizing more and more that this is a volcanic island and so most of the scenery is black lava. On some stretches of road people have written different things with white stones and this is what they call “Hawaiian graffiti”.

Our first stop was the Hilton Hotel. Not to stay there, but because you can visit the resort and enjoy lunch by the Dolphin pool. It was really lovely. The Hilton is on such a big property that you need to take a little boat to get around (a real boat in a sense, except it runs on rails in this little man-made river). It’s a beautiful place though, and the food at the little restaurant was simple, but nice (I had my first fish tacos ever made with fresh fish).

Looking at the dolphins in this small pool area and observing people coming having paid lots to “play with them” it made me a bit sad. These beautiful mammals were created for a life beyond this. They weren’t created to be confined to a little pool, and seeing the see just a little bit beyond I was thinking that that is where they really belong. In the vast sea, free to jump and swim and really live, not having to entertain people wanting to experience a dolphin close-up.

The next stop was the Hapuna beach. A spectacular sandy beach with lovely warm water, not too wavy and possible to swim in the clear salty water. As I was swimming into the waves my mind went to the verse where it says that God set up boundaries for the sea. And thinking about it, it really blows my mind. I mean, how genius is it to put the exact amount of sand and match it with currents in the water, the amount of water being washed in at any time, and in all of that set a boundary for the sea. Only God could do that. And then, as I was on the beach and looked at the millions of grains of sand there, I thought about Psalm 139 where it says that the thoughts that God has towards me are more numerous then the sands on the sea. And that really blows my mind, that God thinks more about me, just me, then there are grains of sand on the entire planet. It’s unfathomable!!

So those were my major revelations, or rather reminders that just drew my gaze to God and what an awesome Creator He is in the midst of enjoying a day at the beach.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o