Skip to main content

Reality check and a heart alive!

I feel like I’m in the middle of a rollercoaster ride that is going so quick the only thing I can do is really sit back and go along for the ride. Forget trying to determine the direction, I just need to trust God.

Coming back from my holiday in Hawaii was quite hard. Reality hit, as did the realisation that although I did ask God a lot about what He has for me for the time ahead, the only thing He really said was to trust Him and rest in His peace. I mean, they are important truths and things I should do, but not really the answer I was looking for. Still, He is God and I am not, so I guess resting in His peace is what I need to do.

The week after coming back I headed down to the HOPE House of Prayer, the Hope City prayer room. It is stunning! It is a beautiful prayer room. I think the best part about it is the natural brick wall that makes for a backdrop for the stage. The floors are a brown glaze and walking back and forth on them reminds me that we are in the inner city and that I can literally be prayer walking the inner city when I walk on them.

There are so many impressions that I could share about how this prayer room looks and feels like (that I was able to prayer lead a Worship With the Word set and growing in confidence as I on the microphone), but what I was really wanting to do, was share my heart about this morning. I got a real reality check this morning and it messed my heart up...in a good way, I think.

We started the 10am intercession set and got going praying for the inner city and our outreaches that are coming up this weekend. I actually prayer, twice, which is a huge deal for me as I get so nervous speaking into the microphone. As I prayed I got such a heart for the young people in the city, the young men who are escaping into drugs when they need to encounter Jesus who will be their refuge. It was good to pray and good to know people were agreeing with me and knowing that God moves at the sound of my prayers. Many prayed and it was a powerful time of intercession and impacting the city in that way.

Then we put action to our prayers. We jumped in the shuttle and a few cars and drove down to 35th and Prospect, probably one of the roughest parts of the city, to distribute flyers about our event on Saturday where we want to impact the city through giving free food, haircuts and having music and testimonies. It’s going to be a great time! I teamed up with 3 others and we set off to cover our little area. About a minute after we’d started walking a man on a guy stopped us and he was not in a good mood. After a few minutes it was clear that he wasn’t really trying to make friends with us to say the least. It got a bit hairy for a few minutes and I wasn’t quite sure what would happen next, but eventually he cycled off. We prayed for protection over ourselves, and I know for me it was a real reminder and eye-opener to the area we are trying to reach and a quick introduction to the hardness that is in the people there.

I am looking forward to Saturday! Looking forward to partnering with God’s heart in proclaiming the testimony of Jesus on Saturday, whatever that sounds like to each person. And I look forward to bringing in light in such a dark place.

So if you’re reading this and it’s not Saturday yet, pray for us! This is what it’s all about. Prayer works and even as I’m writing this I am connecting the prayers I prayed this morning with what happened. It’s a tough place to break into, but God is a God of breakthrough and this is His heart. Seeing these people reached and become everything He intended for them to be is His heart! So yeah, my eyes were opened and my heart is still messed up....with God’s heart, and I feel alive so it’s good.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o