Skip to main content

What does it mean to trust?

It’s been a while since I wrote. I got busy and then I got ill. But now I’m not so busy and feeling well. Although I’m still busy, most of the time.

My course is going well. It’s incredibly interesting and it feels as if we’re truly having the top people in the area of human trafficking/working with women in prostitution speaking to us. It’s so inspiring to hear these people share of their life experience and glean from their wisdom. This weekend we passed the half-way point and only a couple of weeks remain till it’s over.

Over... meaning I need to walk into the next that God has for me. Which brings me to my question of what it really means to trust in God. I don’t know what lies ahead for me. I don’t know what the next step on my journey will be, and I find myself wrestling with the subject of trusting God. What does it really look like to live it out? I mean, I do trust Him. I trust in who He is; I totally trust Him with all I have and am. But in the day-to-day, walking out of life, how do I do it?

Still at a crossroads in my journey. Even taking this step here to Amsterdam, I still feel like I’m stood in the middle of an open space not knowing which direction to head in, or even where I could head. So how do I walk? How do I walk in the now not knowing what the ahead looks like or is? Trust. Is trust when you can see where you’re going, or is it like faith, to walk without seeing? I guess I’m not meant to trust in the journey or destination or even plan, I’m meant to trust in the One who designed the journey and plan and who knows the destination. Trust in God who is so good and kind and faithful. Trust in God who created me and knows me fully. Trust in God who loves to see my heart come alive.

Alive. How can I live in abundant life when I find myself wondering what my life is all about? How do I live abundantly in the now, right here, today, and step out of the worry about tomorrow? It’s easy to say, but so hard and feels almost impossible to do. But it should be possible... shouldn’t it?

All is possible with God. And as I ponder and churn and wrestle with the not knowing, I find that the common denominator in it all is God. I trust in GOD. I wrestle with GOD. I walk with GOD. GOD created me. GOD has good plans for me. GOD delights in my heart. Life is what GOD has for me. And so I think the key to trusting and living and walking, even when I don’t see where I’m going is Him. Not in what He can do or what He says about me, but simply in who He is. Knowing Him more. Focusing my attention and energy on Him. Meditating on who He is. Worshipping Him.

And so I fix my gaze on God; on my faithful Father, trusted Friend, good Shepherd, Prince of Peace, Burden-carrier, perfect Leader, gentle Guide... and wait. Wait for Him to show the way. And in the waiting I choose to embrace His peace. The peace that passes understanding and guards my heart and mind in Him. And I embrace the place of rest that comes from knowing the One who is the author of the journey and trust that He also walks it with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o