Skip to main content

A good few weeks... encounters, ponderings, adventures.

It’s been a packed and good few weeks here in Amsterdam... a lot has happened and since I haven’t sat down to write till now I am guessing this might be a long post... but that’s ok. After all, I am writing mostly for myself and whoever wants a glimpse into my life and my heart....

It’s been a month of ministry and seeing more of Holland. At the open day for YWAM I found myself sharing about this ministry I’ve only really worked with for a few weeks to many people. And instead of taking the “I just arrived so I don’t know much approach”, I chose to share my heart, and as I shared about the ministry, I discovered more of my passion for justice. It was a good day, and it gave me even more insight into what YWAM Amsterdam is really about.

The next day I went to Haarlem with some friends to visit Corrie Ten Boom’s house. While we were waiting for the tour to start I was talking to a gentleman who ended up being there with a group of students from the USA. When he heard that I worked in the Red Light District he got very excited. Turns out the group of 25 students had been there the evening before, and they were all very upset by the situation, wondering if anyone was reaching out to the ladies behind the windows. So the gentleman, who turned out to be their teacher, told the students to “gather in” and then told me to share with them what we do. Talk about being put on the spot. Knowing that it was only a matter of minutes before the tour of the house would start, I spoke really quickly and gave the shortest little spiel on reaching the ladies and God’s heart partnering with Him in intercession. It was good, and after we’d been through the house, several of the students were asking more questions. It touched my heart that their hearts were touched by what they saw and I was able to talk more about God being the one who is to carry the burden, and that we are invited to partner with Him. Still, the whole experience showed me that when I have chosen to get God’s heart for something I need to be ready to share it when He divinely gives me an opportunity.

The rest of the day was lovely... we went to this touristy windmill place called Zaanse Schaans (I think is the spelling) and had pancakes and joined the masses of tourists in taking photos and sampling cheese and chocolate at the shop.

The next afternoon I hopped on a bus with a friend and we went out to Marken which is north of Amsterdam by the sea. It was a gorgeous day and although the water was cold, it was nice to dip my feet in it and just see the sea again. So relaxing. If I ever end up moving to Amsterdam, this is definitely a place I will be going to often to just get away and find space!

The week went well... I got to work on a bunch of administration and getting some things in order for the ministry, as well as spending time in the tabernacle and also with the ministry team and reaching out to the ladies behind the windows. The week went quickly and suddenly it was the weekend again.

On short notice I ended up going down to Brussels for the weekend to visit my good friends Kevin and Nicki and their 4 kids. It was so lovely to see them again. An added wonderful surprise was to have some other good friends, Leonie and Markus and their 4 kids, come from Germany for the same weekend. I love how you can go years (in this case something around 10 years) without seeing someone, but then pick up right where you left off. I am so blessed by these friendships, their love, wisdom, and the way they are living their lives fully for God where He has placed them! Needless to say it was busy, but great, and I must admit coming back to Amsterdam the flat I’m staying in seemed very quiet....


Monday was second day of Pentecost and a free day here in Holland, so I met up with another friend in Bunnik, a small town/village/place outside of Utrech, about 30 minutes on the train from Amsterdam. We drove to a few fortresses, had a picnic in drizzling rain, drank small cups of tea, and had kebabs for dinner. It was great to spend time with yet another friend I am so blessed to have.

Which brings us to the last few days, which are and have also been my last days here in Amsterdam, for now...

Yesterday I had my last outreach to the women behind the windows and it was really good. It was interesting because apart from ministering to the women, we ended up encouraging a pastor and praying with a Romanian girl who was playing the accordion on the streets. It was a really encouraging time, and my heart was really moved especially by two of the ladies who expressed such strong desires to leave the life of prostitution, but it’s not easy for them. We said we’d pray for them and they were grateful for that. It showed me that there is an openness in them, and even if I want to see them live different lives, my heart is burdened to not just see them leave prostitution, but also get life in Jesus, get restoration in Him. So I keep their names in mind and continue to pray for them as I remember them.

This morning it is absolutely chucking it down with rain outside, which is a shame because I’m off to meet my friend Joke who is coming to hang out for the day. Good job there are plenty of cafes in the city to take shelter and drink coffee at. And the rain might subside, maybe...

I came here this month to see if I would come back longer term. There are so many good things going on in this city and the work here has such amazing potential. So am I coming back? We’ll have to see. God keeps telling me not to rush, so I choose to not rush. And Jesus keeps reminding me that I am to be a friend, not a servant to Him, which means we’re on this journey together. And so I have some ideas about the next step, but that will have to wait for another post. Right now I have to post this, and then get ready to head out into the rain. This evening I’m packing and cleaning, and then bright and early I head off to the airport to fly back to Norway.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o