Skip to main content

The challenge of balance.

Friday 19 August 2011

Wednesday was really good. It was so great to spend time adoring God and praying in the project which is right in the middle of a community which is filled with so much darkness and hopelessness. After making some lunch (I was quite impressed with the fact that I managed to make rice the Brazilian way without burning it) we headed out to do some visits to families. My heart get so burdened with their situations. One family has 6 children and the father was sat talking badly about them in front of us. One of the boys went outside and sat crying. It’s hard to know how to deal with it. But it makes me so angry when parents do that, and it really makes me ask how it is possible to see a restoration both of the parents and the children. Most of the parents treat their children the way they were treated and when you add survival to it, it really isn’t easy...

On our wanderings around the community, mostly listening to the families talk, but also praying, I bumped into Carliane’s brother, Fransico. Oh how my heart broke! Tall and skinny (he’s grown so much since I worked with him 4 ½ years ago). He is 17 now. He waved at me and I asked him how he was doing. His response was “Igual da minha māe” (the same as my mother). His mother died about 4 years ago. She was a hard core crack addict and at 40 looked 70. He lived with her and felt a tremendous responsibility for her. After she died he continued in the community... and is not trapped in the same deadly cycle as she was. Addicted to crack and will end up just like her if nothing happens. He said he wanted to change and agreed that he had to want to for any change to happen. Whether or not he was really serious about changing remains to be seen... it’ll be good to check up on him when I’m there. But most of all to pray. Stand in the gap for him and pray that a miracle can happen like it did for his sister Carliane (who is doing really well and I am hoping to go see her one of these days).

The last few evenings I’ve been involved with ENVIA which is the night school run by YWAM for people from local churches. It’s a discipleship type programme with lectures 3 evenings as week and small groups in that. They have a group of 50+ students who are all so hungry for more of God. It’s really inspiring and gives me hope that the church is awake and God is working in hearts. I’ve sat in on a few classes, helped lead a little group in intercession and mostly prayed. It’ll be good to continue to be involved and see how that goes.

But with all of this I realised today that my time is filling up so quickly. And I haven’t even gone to the youth prisons yet, or visited the project with the pregnant teens... When you take into account that these “activities” also involve a 70 minute drive each way, it’s easy to see how the days are just flying by. And I don’t want to be so busy I don’t have time to be in the prayer room as well.

So today I am trying to create a bit of balance.

This morning I went out really early and got a manicure and pedicure (which is so cheap here) and now I feel like I’m getting settled. Probably all Brazilian women have their nails done, so now I am getting into the culture more.

Anyways, I got a ride to Aquiraz and took the bus back. It was fun to get the bus, and when I got off the lady who lives in the house in front of the farm walked with me and we had a good chat. Back here I’ve spent the day pretty much in the prayer room and just trying to not be so busy. In a bit I’m going to pop up to Selma so we can pray together. I was starting to feel quite rushed and so busy (starting early and getting to bed late), so it’s good to find balance. Tomorrow I’m taking a day off. Going to clean the house and then head into Fortaleza to shop a few things. Sunday and Monday aren’t super scheduled so I want to make a good schedule for the week ahead so I can have balance, yet really make the most of every day I’m here.

So yeah, right now I’m at peace. I’m sat in the office. Outside I hear the crickets. Inside the mosquitoes are flying around (I guess I’ll find out if my insect repellent works) and a little while ago there was a flying cockroach here, but he’s disappeared. All reminders that I’m in Brazil.

If you pray. Please keep praying for me!

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o