Skip to main content

Wrapping up” Brazil, landing, and looking forward.

So many thoughts to write… I really need to, well rather, want to, write a final bit about my last week in Brazil and how it was to leave and final impressions. Not so much for anyone beyond myself reading this (since I mainly write for myself anyway), but so that I won’t forget. So that those memories and feelings can continue registered somewhere, even if I never read them again. I suppose it’s almost like filing; even if you never go back to what is filed away, at least it’s there, available, and you know where to find it if you wanted to.

Wrapping up.

So, final week in Brazil. It was lovely, sad, busy, impacting, and a time of wrapping up and getting closure.

The last weekend of my time (I travelled on a Friday) most of the staff went off to do an evangelistic impact in Juazeiro do Norte. I had already decided not to go, and went away for a few days with my friends Peter and Selma and their children to a lovely flat in a place with a pool. It was a lovely retreat. Apart from loving the pool and getting a nice tan (very important J, although sat here in cold November in Norway, my tan is covered up by warm clothes), it was so precious to have some quality time with good friends. We chilled, ate nice food, watched good films (and less good ones, if you’re considering watching “Final dance” with Patrick Swayze, it really isn’t worth it at all… I think there are few films I would say are worse than that one), chatted and hung out. It was great. A perfect ending to my time.

Getting back from the little retreat, the week went by very quickly… it was filled with mostly catching up with people I hadn’t yet caught up with and saying good-bye to others. And packing of course. Packing is always a “joy”, although it was pretty painless this time round. And eating. Final Açaí na tigela, tapioca with banana caramelizada and doce de leite and cheese, pāo de queijo, suco de maracujá, and coconut water.

The day of leaving came around very soon and I had a lovely surprise breakfast with all the staff. I realized how many good friendships I have there, both new and old. It was sad to leave. It had become kind of normal to be there again… and at the same time it felt like it was time to go.

Thankful.

Looking back I realize my time in Brazil was such a gift from God. And His timing is so perfect. I know that had I come earlier or later it would not have been the same. I know that it was one of those “for such a time as this” times, and I know that it was time to be there, but that it was also time to leave when I left. I feel so blessed by all that I take with me from that time. I know I was able to give some and bless and serve, but I think I received more than I gave out. I am so thankful.

I am thankful for the privilege of seeing friends and people dear to my heart again.

I am thankful for many opportunities to teach and share, and thankful to see how I have grown in both confidence and I think skill in this area.

I am thankful to have spent 3 months with people who love God, and love the poor and needy and know God’s heart for them.

I am thankful for the little prayer room where I could talk to God about His heart and the people around me, and discover His dreams for them.

I am thankful to have seen Jesus in people who walk through life obeying Him and not led by their own selfish ambitions.

I am thankful for the opportunities to connect with the needy and broken, bringing hope which comes from God, to them.

I am thankful that my heart again could come alive as I saw the poor and lost through God’s eyes and heart.

I am thankful for the opportunity to pray for and speak life into boys in prison, and see in their eyes that the words hit their hearts.

I am thankful for the sunshine and warm weather.

I am thankful for the beach.

I am so thankful that I could take this trip and thankful that God went with me.

And I am thankful that coming back to Norway, He is still there. Right beside me, and ahead of me, guiding me, always.

Landing.

Landing. The question that immediately pops into my mind is: “which airport?” I feel like in the last 3 weeks I have been on so many planes and at some many airports, they all kind of blend into one. Leaving Brazil it took three flights to get home. Coming home was lovely. So nice to see family again and, oh my nieces and nephew are so big. It’s amazing how quickly the little ones grow and change in just 3 months!

Less than a week after coming home from Brazil I hopped on a plane again, this time to spend 6 days in England connecting with friends there. It was lovely! Always lovely to catch up with good friends. Lots and lots of tea (mostly Earl Grey of course), chatting, praying, time on trains, catching up. It was so good, but maybe in hindsight I packed a bit too much into the short week I was there. Note to self: plan more time in England next time I go.

In Norway we have a saying which is “snu i døra”, which basically means leaving as soon as you arrive. And that is almost what I did. I had one day at home after coming back from England, before I again got on a plane headed to Oslo, the destination being my YWAM base in Grimerud, which is a little north of Oslo. It was another good time of connecting with people again, spending time in the prayer room, and getting signed up again as a partner missionary with the base with my going to Amsterdam in mind. It was good, but I must admit that sitting on the plane home again the next day I was relieved to know that I had some weeks ahead of me with no travelling. I don’t mind travelling, but I travelling is tiring and it’s the destination that matters, not so much the journey in itself. Well sometimes the journey can be fun also, but it can get a bit much.

Looking forward.

It’s a week today since getting back. Feels like longer. Monday I started looking at the YWAM school/ course I’ll be leading when I move to Amsterdam next year. Initially it all seemed quite overwhelming, but I always find that the overwhelming gets more manageable when approached one bit at a time, which is what I’m doing. It is a challenge though, being here and not there and trying to figure out things. But the good thing is that God is with me even in that. And I know that He is so able and He always sees the whole picture.

As I’m doing some planning and communicating I feel myself getting excited about this next step. Excited to be a part of something that will impact lives. Excited to move to Amsterdam and be a part of what God is doing both there, but also in the world in the area of Human Trafficking. Excited to be living in the Red Light District of Amsterdam and shine true Light. It’s not a jump-up-and-down-and-speak-loudly excited (which I don’t really do anyway), but a calm excited that goes deeper. I think it’s like the peace of God which passes understanding. It’s a deep excitement which I can’t quite define, but I know it’s there. Right next to God’s peace which is guarding my heart and my mind.

Which brings me to this moment. It’s late and the rest of the house is quiet and sleeping. I am sat here writing this with such a good peace in my heart and a smile on my face. Life is good. This is a good moment.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o