Skip to main content

Three lovely weeks in Kansas City.

Sunday 22 January 2012

It’s almost 2 am and I am wide awake. I think it’s what you call jet-lag. I arrived back in Norway Thursday afternoon. Somehow when I got up early on Friday morning I thought I’d beaten jet-lag. But that wasn’t the case. This is my second night when I’m wide awake at this hour. Not sure what to do. My brother pointed out that some research had said you can readjust your body one hour each day...so that means it’ll take 7 days for me to get into this time zone. I don’t know. All I know is that I am awake now, and I am bored with trying to sleep.

So I figured, I might as well update my blog, since it’s been a good few weeks, and there is much to tell. As always I blog mostly for myself, and whoever wants to follow my journey. It’s good to have a place to record the twists and turns of life, and realise that no matter how I’m feeling about my journey on any given day, it’s still mine. My journey. My walk. My life. My decisions as I walk it.

I’m sat here in my room. The house is quiet and I am listening to Misty Edwards and David Brymer’s EP- “Measure of Love”. It’s super chilled (relaxing to listen to, and hopefully also sleep-inducing. My aim is to write until I feel sleepy and manage to drift off to sleep). I let my thoughts go back to the Onething conference in Kansas City- 25 000 people joining together to get to know Jesus more; spending time with lovely friends I hadn’t seen for over a year, Higher Grounds coffee, Hope City, my old house and roommates, the prayer room, the Abolition Summit, ice skating, dinner with good friends... so many things to think back on and write about. Good job I have no word-limit as I blog. I can just write my heart out.

Arriving back.

It was so good to be back in KC. In so many ways it seemed like I’d never left. I kept having to remind myself that I really only had 3 weeks and needed to make sure to make the most of them. It was so easy to just slip into the routine of being there, pacing myself as if I was there to run a marathon rather than a sprint.

The Onething conference was great! I didn’t end up going to most of the sessions, I hung out with friends, prayed with people in the healing and prophecy rooms, had coffee and food with people, and saw friends I didn’t expect to see. I felt so loved. It’s strange to get back after being away so long and feel like you still belong, like there’s still room for you.

The prayer room. Oh, it was so lovely to go into the prayer room at the conference. Of course it was slightly different from the normal prayer room, but it was still such a breath of fresh air. I remember the first time I went in. I’d taken the shuttle from the IHOPU campus close to where I was staying, and instead of heading to registration when I arrived at Bartle Hall, I chose to go to the prayer room. I walked in and sat down. And felt like I could truly breathe spiritually. It was a strange feeling. It was as if I’d come “home”, well to one of my “homes” anyways. 2011 was a time of travelling around so much, I guess KC was the last place where I made a home for a longer period of time. And in the prayer room I felt at home.

So much could be said for the Onething conference. I was challenged to live righteously and am still thinking about Corey Russell’s definition of the fear of the Lord: “everything matters!” And I was reminded about the intentionality in God’s heart as He created me from Psalm 139. So good.

Best conference I’ve ever been to- Exodus Cry Abolition Summmit.

There’s no rest for the “hungry” and I really wanted to know more of God’s heart. Just a day after 2012 was in place, I set off to participate in the Abolition Summit run by Exodus Cry for 3 days. It was held at FCF (one of the IHOP-KC buildings) and I’d daily shuttle down there to go to the sessions. It was the best conference I’ve ever been to. Amazing is not a strong enough word to describe the quality and impact of this conference. All of the 8 sessions were incredible. Each speaker sharing about Jesus’ heart and how He wants us to respond, yet also including a very thorough knowledge about the topics they were addressing. This was a conference rooted in friendship with Jesus, yet also in a very real understanding of the issue of modern day slavery.

As the different speakers spoke, I kept feeling: “yes, this is exactly my heart”. I want to have the information, knowledge, and understanding about human trafficking, yet I want to respond out of friendship with God’s heart. Starting from the place of knowing what His heart is and partnering with Him in the place of prayer (which is basically talking to Him). My heart came alive! I would love to share everything I learnt/was reminded of, but it’ll take too long. Those of you know me can get in touch to know more.

Coffee, tea, London Fog, Dark Chocolate Mocca, Extra Hot Latte, coffee....

When I got to KC I really felt like my time there was about the prayer room and the conferences, but also very much about reconnecting with friends and contacts there. And so many hours were spent (mostly) in Higher Grounds, the IHOP-KC coffee shop. It was wonderful to be able to catch up with so many amazing people! I am so blessed, so very very blessed, to know such amazing people and to be able to reconnect with them even if it had been a year without seeing them. Some days I did feel quite caffeinated though, but that was ok.

The prayer room- getting realigned again.

Having been away for over a year, it was so lovely to get back into the prayer room. It was lovely to be able to settle into Jesus in a fresh way, and find there was time and space to really connect with Him without having to rush. I feel like I was really able to catch the vision of the house of prayer again and found my heart getting so excited by being able to continue to integrate this reality into my life in Amsterdam. I love how God is truly changing the way Christianity looks and is expressed, and I love that young people are choosing to spend their lives on Jesus being their primary focus.

Oh, how I love Hope City.

Many people come to Kansas City for the prayer room, or Global Prayer Room as it’s also called. I would come just for Hope City (although I love the other prayer room also, of course). Hope City (for those who don’t know) is the inner city prayer room and I love it down there. I love the rawness and realness of it, and I love God’s heart for the inner city.

Going down there felt like “coming home”. There is such love in that place and part of me wishes I could just stay there and work there and see God move. It’s such a unique way of doing ministry, and yet the fruit is so great. Last year 100 people gave their lives to Jesus there, just by coming in.

I loved hanging out there a little bit (not enough), and I hope that I can bring some of the reality of having a place like this, where the broken and rejected can come in and find acceptance and encounter Jesus who restores, in Amsterdam.

Looking ahead...

There is so much more I could tell, but it’s been two evenings since I started this post, and I think I need to get it posted so I can start blogging about what lies ahead. On Monday, in 6 days I move to Amsterdam. It still seems very unreal, yet very soon, and at the same time as I’m looking forward to get to a place where I can settle down for a bit, I’m still quite daunted by moving to a new city and all that entails.

Still, I know it’s the right move and the right time, and I know there will be grace for the transition.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o