Skip to main content

Connecting in Kiev.


Saturday 28 April 2012

Travelling…

After a really lovely ending to Shine I hopped on a plane on Wednesday evening heading to just outside Kiev in the Ukraine. As we drove through the night the 100 km from the airport to our destination, I was trying to get a sense of what the Ukraine is like. Driving through the city there were shopping malls and fast food places identifiable by lit up signs in bright colours. In other areas there were high apartment blocks side by side towering over everything else. Then as we got outside the city, all I could glimpse in the dark were trees.

About 4:30 am on Thursday morning (after several delays on the way) I arrived at the Jeremiah Hope camp where the Shine Anti-Trafficking Network Gathering was to be held.

Time. It’s so lovely to have time. We do have a full schedule with speakers and networking, yet at the same time there is more time. I think I also realize how much not having internet for a little while is a real blessing. No emails requiring urgent responses and not being distracted by the plethora of things you can waste your time on when you have access to the internet. I hope I can use the internet less when I get back to Amsterdam and spend time on other things.

Sunday 29 April 2012

Networking and people.

Jeremiah’s Hope is a lovely location for a conference. It is so peaceful and yet I know the reality for the villages in this area is not very good. Someone said the village here is the last one before entering the Chernobyl zone. It really made me think. I remember growing up and hearing about Chernobyl and seeing dying children because of the radiation. Yet, being here it’s so close and it makes it so real. Real people lived in the area where the disaster hit. Real people’s lives were affected and ended by it. And real people still live here and I wonder if they are still experiencing the consequences of that which happened so long ago? I know this country has been affected by being under communism. I hear stories of people without hope who believe this is it and that nothing good will never happen. Yet God is good. And He does bring good things into impossible situations.

As I spend time here with people, I realize that as much as networking is about connecting with ministries and seeking to find how we can help each other and share resources and contacts; networking is mostly about people. It’s about individuals and life and about connecting with people who are walking similar journeys. Networking is also about gaining strength and encouragement from realizing that there are others out there who have also chosen to partner with God in carrying His heart for the broken and destitute. It’s connecting with people who also go through joys and struggles, and be able to encourage one another in the season we find ourselves in. Networking is people and I never want to lose sight of that.

Rhythm. I was listening to a teaching this morning and one of the things that really stood out to me was finding rhythm. I’ve been looking at how I can find “balance” in life, “balancing” the different parts that make up my life, but I realize that what I need to find isn’t balance, it is rhythm. I need to find the rhythm that fits my season and enter into that. And I need to realize that the rhythm that worked in the last season might be different in this one, but that it is possible. It is possible to have a rhythm in every season of life that is life-giving. A rhythm that won’t lead to exhaustion. A rhythm that will provide time for everything that is important. And a rhythm that will keep me connected to God and not distant from Him.

As I ponder this I lean into God and ask Him to show me the rhythm. The rhythm for today and for this season. That as I return to Amsterdam in a few days, my life can be in sync with the rhythm of the season and that I can find fullness of life as I walk in that rhythm and pace, bringing in what is important and necessary and putting aside that which isn’t important and will disrupt the rhythm.

Monday 14 May 2012

Experiencing Kiev and returning to Amsterdam.

I’ve been back almost two weeks now, but I wanted to write about my Monday in Kiev. That day there wasn’t really any program at the conference location, so I squeezed into an already full van and headed into the city of Kiev to see something other than fields and trees. The van driver dropped us off at the Metro station and a group of us shuffled our way into the metro station. It was a surreal experience to suddenly realize that I couldn’t read or understand anything written and if I’d been on my own it would have taken a considerable effort to figure out how to get to the city centre. But thankfully a few of the people I was with either spoke Russian or were familiar with the city so I put my trust in their ability to guide us to the right place.

When I stepped out of the metro station I was immediately struck by the huge high-rise buildings and the grandeur everything had about it. I think we were in the financial centre at first and just seeing the huge banks and statues and other huge monuments was a huge contrast to the country side. I wished I’d done some research before coming as I kept taking photos of buildings and monuments without having a clue what they were.

It was a good day walking around, taking in the feel of the city and seeing beauty in so many things. Beautiful churches in bright colours, beautiful flowers in different places, colourful souvenirs at the market, rows and rows of beautiful paintings for sale lining the pavements, and beautiful people. I am always so struck but the different features and expressions on peoples’ faces in different cities and places. And the shoes. I am amazed at the balance the Ukrainian women have. Some of their high heels would make me feel dizzy just from the height. And yet they walk around as if they were in the most comfortable shoes you could get. I was quite impressed.

At one point we took this elevator/tram thing from the top of a hill to the bottom. It was quite an experience, I think the part that most blessed my heart was the lady driving it feeding the pigeons on the ledge at the top before getting in and driving (or rather pressing the button for the tram to make its way down) us down.

For lunch we went to what seemingly was a very typical Ukrainian restaurant. The menu totally in different letters and so through translation I ordered something along the lines of chicken and was served what looked like quail, a small bird grilled with not too much meat on it. It was a fun experience though. I love discovering new places and cultures!

My heart was moved as we passed a young street man sleeping on a bench, and I realized that also here people are making the streets their home. I asked the girl who works in Kiev if they work with the street people and she said they do. I am glad there are people who are loving them and offering help and hope.

After an eventful day in the city we got back to the campsite in the evening and on the Tuesday flew back to Amsterdam.

The past couple of weeks in Amsterdam have been busy. Trying to get Shine wrapped up (almost there) and attending a Seminar with Ed Khouri (which has been excellent), and discovering that my capacity and strength have become depleted, and this weekend having some days away from the city to just rest and reflect and process the past months.

Life is good and God gives peace.

I will leave it at that and write more later.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o