Skip to main content

A collection of experiences.


I’m back blogging, realizing it’s been a long time since my last post. Right now I’m sat in Norway and yesterday I actually wore shorts. We had a nice sunny day with an amazing temperature of…. 16 degrees Celsius. I must admit it was a bit chilly, but I had some nice hours sitting in the sunshine at our cottage at Hellestø, which is one of the beautiful sandy beaches here. I love the beach. And I am yet again convinced that I was created to live in warm, sunny places (which makes me wonder sometimes how I ended up in Amsterdam which is quite cold and rainy a lot of the time). I even think I got a bit of a tan, which is nice. Bring on those vitamin Ds.

I’m back in Norway for a week to go to my niece’s Christening and my brother’s wedding, and in between having some chill-time at my parent’s house. It’s nice to have a break. The last month and a bit has been quite challenging. After coming back from the Ukraine I started the process of looking at leading the Lighthouse project. After many meetings the decision was made and I am now leading a small team of 6 of us, trying to figure out how to bring God’s Kingdom to the Red Light District of Amsterdam and beyond. For now our strategy is shifting to an evening and nighttime schedule, and then we’ll see how God leads us from there. It’s an exciting process!!

Life in Amsterdam is always full moments that make me smile. One day I was on a walk in the city and as I passed one of the cinemas I saw many dressed up people and a black carpet and reporters and people being interviewed. I soon realized it was the Dutch premiere of “Men in Black 3”. I must admit I went up close to see if I could spot any celebrities I recognized, but they were all unfamiliar to me.

And last week I was sitting in the library writing my newsletter when some teenagers on another table started screaming and making lots of noise. Turns out they’d spotted a mouse scuttling around the library (Amsterdam has quite a few rodent inhabitants). They ended up moving to another area (or leaving) and there were only 5 of us remaining. From time to time we’d see the tiny little mouse (that looked very malnourished as I think I could see little ribs protruding in its starved body) running from one side to the other. Mice don’t really bother me, although I don’t really want to touch them. So I put my feet up a bit and continued writing. Only in Amsterdam, or maybe this happens in other cities too.

Biking in Amsterdam is definitely an adventure. I have now become much more confident as I race along on my brown bike which a friend of mine got from her landlord who was going to chuck it. It’s an old bike, brown (with some red spray paint in some places, and orange rust in others), but a real blessing. I am getting more skilled at riding with no hand brakes, although it’s a challenge to make an abrupt stop as I have to kind of jump off the bike to get it to a standstill (it’s a wee bit high for me so I can’t touch the ground with my feet when sitting on it). But it’s a skill I am learning and I don’t know how I had time for anything without it! Still want to master the art of biking while holding and umbrella as I think that would open up so many more “bike-friendly” days. I still don’t like biking in the rain and getting soaked.

I am sure there are many more things to write, but for now that’ll have to be it. Today I’m getting final bits and bobs done before my brother’s wedding tomorrow. We are hoping for nice weather so the ceremony can be outside, and hence have been checking the weather constantly. So far it’s looking promising, hopefully the forecast won’t change and stay dry.

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the 17th of May. But for any Norwegian, this particular date isn't like any other date in the year, it's the 4th of July of Norway. And this year I am actually here. However, some preparations had to be done to get ready for tomorrow. One was getting my national costume down from the loft. I got it a few days ago and tried it on. It's a wee bit tight, but I think it'll be fine. This evening I ironed (or rather started ironing) the blouse which is hand embroydered and made of linnen (so those of you who have a clue about fabrics, know that linnen is the opposite of no-crease material). And the second part of the preparation was polishing the silver. I tried the "foil-in-hot-water-with-salt" method, but I don't think it worked too well. I did a bit of polishing with toothpaste after that and it looks alright. At the end of the day I'm the only one who will notice the level of polishedness of my silver. I have also got my camera on charging re...

At a crossroads yet again.

This evening feelings of weariness flood my soul. Weary of not knowing. Weary of choosing to trust. Weary of waiting. Weary of walking yet not knowing what I am walking in or towards. Weary of figuring out life on my own. This past month the reality of crossroads in life has hit me yet again. I knew it was coming, but suddenly it was there and I just had to go with it. There’s not much more I can do...except waiting and trusting and choosing. Choosing to let God be the One who guides and fights and prepares the path before me. My crossroads is “do I stay or do I go”? From Kansas City and IHOP-KC. In October I’ll have been here two years, which feels like 5 years and at the same time 6 months. In December I go home for Christmas. It’ll have been a year since last time and I’ll be seeing my niece who’ll be 3 instead of 2 years old, and my little nephew who will be 1 year already, and I’ll get to meet little Julie who is only three weeks old as I write this. She’ll be 4 months when I meet...

On the move again...

As I walked wheeling the trolley containing two suitcases and a rucksack (belonging to my middle brother who has bought himself a new one) I felt tears stinging in my eyes and threatening to push their way out. I suddenly felt so very small and the airport so very big. I’d got off my 45 minute flight from Sola to Oslo, got my bags from the baggage claim (the airline I flew with lets you decide how many bags of luggage you want to take against a small fee, and so I was able to bring not one suitcase weighing 20 kilos, but a suitcase and a rucksack), bought my train ticket for the last leg of my journey, and was walking along in search of a cup of coffee and a waffle to kill the half hour till the train. Walking along I caught myself thinking about this new stage in life. I wondered why this move up to the YWAM base here in Norway seemed so huge, when moving to Brazil obviously was a bigger move, at least further away. And then it occurred to me that when I’d been travelling back and for...