Skip to main content

Searching for peace.

The variety of noises around me made it hard to continue sleeping, so I dragged myself out of bed and headed to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. Accompanied by the familiar sound of water being heated to a boil, I started to feel a bit more human. After an intense week of many emotions, I was trying to think of what I could do to make this truly a day of rest, and settle into peace again. Sipping my Earl Grey I soon realized that staying in my flat wasn't it and started to ponder my options.

Outside the sky was the clearest of blues, and checking the forecast it seemed that it would not be joined by the ice cold wind which so rapidly can turn the warmth of sun rays into a more freezing experience.

I quickly packed a little rucksack for the journey and bundled up, thinking many layers would prepare me for any eventuality. With my journal and snacks safely zipped away I set off, enjoying the fact that although I was headed to catch a train, I had no train to catch. Sometimes it's nice to just be on a journey and that be the purpose of it all.

As the train slowly pulled away from the platform with squeaking wheels I started to look forward to smelling the crisp sea air again and seeing the sea, which always reminds me of the vastness of God.

My wandering trail of thought was soon interrupted by an announcement that there were some problems, and the train would not take me to my destination. Thankful to not be in a hurry, I made my way to the information lady, and was informed that I would have to go via the airport and get a bus there if I still wanted to get to Zandfoort an Zee. I felt sorry for the lady, she seemed stressed and worn out. I thanked her kindly.

Back on the train, now taking a different route, I was thinking how the airport always makes me feel connected to home. My Norway home where my family is, but also the other places in the world that have also become homes in my heart. Places represented by people I carry in my heart.

I don't know if I would have chosen this destination if I had known about the obstacles to get there. After a long bus ride from the airport to Haarlem (where I just spent the day yesterday and didn't particularly have the urgent need to spend more of my weekend), I finally sat down for a 20 minute wait for the train which would, hopefully, bring me to the beach. What was supposed to take half an hour was now close to two hours and counting. Yet, with time to reflect, I guess it's kind of like life. If we knew about the obstacles and delays, we might end up not stepping into things which at the end of the day turn into huge blessings. And again I was thankful that I wasn't needing to get anywhere, and thankful for the journey (although with my snacks gone, I decided that getting lunch should be my first activity on arrival...maybe I'd find somewhere with a view of the sea).

Finally arriving at the beach it was a gust of fresh air. I found a bench overlooking the beach and the sea and just sat for a bit. Feeling the lightness of not having to pay attention to anyone or organize anything. The rest of just being. I made my improvised brie and pear sandwich from supplies picked up at the super marked on the way, and ate in silence. I was joined by the sound of waves crashing on the shore and the faint murmur of people walking by.

Sitting there I was finally able to grieve. Not with tears. They had already been shed in abundance, but mourn without having to keep a million other things in mind. Mourn without having to explain anything to people who didn't know him. Mourn without needing to be strong for anyone. Mourn as I started asking God the questions of "why?", although I knew the answer is in His goodness.

I felt tears well up in my eyes as I remembered him. The quiet boy with the big blond hair at the corner of McDonalds who I couldn't get eye contact with, and who would stutter as he spoke. And the young man he became who was doing the barbecue with a quiet joy as he shared that it was in fact there, on the farm from us that he had learned how to love.

The waste of a life. And yet I hang on to the promise that those who mourn shall be comforted. And I hope that his death might cause his family to give themselves to the One who is life. That they would find more than just a relief from sorrow and receive comfort from the God who once had His Son killed.

And so I sit here in silence. Allowing His peace to come. The peace that passes understanding. The peace that is given, not created through circumstances. And I find myself connecting again to Him. The anchor of my soul and the One who upholds me.

And I trust in His love even when I don't understand.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o