Skip to main content

A collection of moments and impressions in Latvia.

Restoration in the making.

As we pulled up outside the building, I was struck by its size and the pile of sand outside it. We scuffled quickly to the front door in an attempt to flee the shower of rain that had accompanied us.

After we managed to unlock the padlock keeping the front door securely closed, our team of 16 piled into the gymnasium room. "Potential" is the best word to describe the first impression of the space, once used for sports, now with random things stored in piles around the floor, waiting for someone to determine their next destination.

We were in Valdemārpils at the property where a restoration/ detox centre for women is going to be set up. At the moment there is no detox facility for women in the entire country. The centre is more than just a distant dream, but although the plans are in motion, it's still only in the very beginnings.

Walking around the building and seeing the partially and 'yet to be built' rooms and areas, I had so much faith that this is going to happen. That not only would this become a place of freedom from addiction, but truly a place of restoration. Restoration of worth. Restoration of health. Resoration of family and bonds. And restoration of hope which will lead women to dream for the impossible to become possible when God is involved.

And so as we left the building to walk along a dirt road back to where we were staying, it was a walking in confidence that one day, in the not too distant future, this seemingly neglected building will once again be filled with life and bring restoration.

The beauty of love expressed.

Last night here at the YWAM base in the country side here in Latvia we got to go to the graduation of one of their Bible schools. It was so precious to experience a little glimpse into Latvian culture.

As each student graduated, friends and family would file up to them and give flowers and chocolate to celebrate them. Not after the ceremony, but as part of it. It was beautiful to watch. One girl literally had her arms overflowing with flowers. Some would give a single rose, others a bouquet of hand picked flowers. All bringing colour and fragrance, and expressing love and appreciation.

Later I commented to someone that I wish we did that too, as its such a lovely gesture. But then the person pointed out to me that our cultures use words to express love and value. And so I realised that where the Latvian people use less words, their hearts are just as abundant with love expressed in a different way.

It reminded me of the value of knowing how a person or culture receives love, so I can intentionally express love to them in a way they can receive it. As well as be open to receive love myself even if its expressed differently from what I am used to.

Sharing in a smile.

I could tell the elderly lady next to me on the bus was also watching with delight. The little boy in the buggy that had just got on the bus with his mum and sister was very cute and active. As we watched him exploring and playing and interacting, I found myself smiling the way a child makes you smile. It's the smile that comes from the welcome reminder of the simplicity of a child's world. The smile that hopes to ignite a smile back from the face to which it is smiling.

As we watched I could tell the lady next to me was also smiling. Not your 'corners-of-the-mouth-turned-up' kind of smile. I haven't seen too many of them from strangers here in Latvia. But she was smiling with her eyes. And as I half-glanced to my side it was such a precious moment of an understanding that we were sharing that smile. And there was a communication without words or language needed. All because of a cute little boy in a buggy.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o