Skip to main content

Thinking on a train.

I am firmly perched on top of my suitcase in the hallway of the train to Cologne. It’s a challenge to find an empty seat among the myriad of passengers, and not having a seat reservation makes it even more challenging. So I am grateful for this little space in the hallway that fits my suitcase with me on top. Outside dusk is coming quickly and it’s a reminder that autumn is really here. The trees are bare and it hailed today, so I am already anticipating spring and summer again.

I am on a train. On my way to Cologne, Germany to teach on a DTS about justice. A challenging subject, but when seen in the light of God, a hope-filled subject.

Heart moved.

Just this week my heart was again so deeply moved as I was working with the women. I was moved by hearing the many plans one of them has and I hope that she never has to return to a window. I was moved by how one of them felt God so near as we prayed. And I was moved by the reality of how Jesus is shown through who we are and how that speaks louder than any words.

Seeing the light in their faces as they left our time of fellowship to go home or to work was priceless. That is life! That is what it should be like most of the time and not just once in a while.

Changes.

Time is going so quickly and in just three months I’ll be in Brazil doing last minute preparations for Shine. It’s seems so near, yet there is much to do before I get there. Transition. Yet again I am in a time of transition; which to me has come to mean “the time where you are living in the now, yet having to think about the future without losing connection with the present”. I guess the challenge is to be fully present where I am. Which right now is on a train.

Thankfulness.

I was almost getting a bit frustrated as we were pushing ourselves through the narrow corridors of the train searching for a seat. Well, I was a wee bit frustrated, but then I decided I didn’t want to focus on that. Some friends are doing a “war on grumbling” thing. I am not quite sure what it is, but I keep reading facebook posts with thankfulness and #warongrumbling, so I figure it’s some kind of decision to not grumble but be thankful. I want to be thankful. I want my heart to overflow with so much thankfulness there is no more space for any grumbling or complaining. Even the complaining that is nicely wrapped as “venting” or “justified frustration”. Let’s face it, even if it’s understandable, carrying it in my heart won’t do anyone any good, least of all me. And it most certainly won’t change what caused it in the first place.

And so I chose thankfulness today. Thankful for a suitcase to sit on. Thankful for life. Thankful for the extra hot doppio latte from Julia’s as I was waiting for the train. Thankful.

Expectations.

It’s almost dark outside. The train seems to be slowing down for another station maybe, and I am finishing up this blog post. I am wondering what this week will hold. Wondering what God will speak to my heart as I share my heart with these DTS students. Desiring it to be a week full of peace and rest in the midst of activity.


And so I set my heart towards peace and rest, trusting that God is in control of all things.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o