Skip to main content

Two girls on the beach front that impacted my life.

One in Amsterdam. One in Fortaleza. Two interactions which marked my life; one full of hope and new life. The other void of future and dreams.

I was driving back from the city centre last after praying with a team that was heading out to evangelise on the beach front. Driving along my thoughts wandered to two beautiful women I’ve had the privilege to get to know on my journey in ministry, and how meeting with them on the beach front meant such different things.

The first was Anna. When I first got to know her she was a bubbly 12-soon-to-be-13 year old who came to our open house for street children in Fortaleza around 2003. She quickly connected with us, and we celebrated her 13th birthday during one of our times. A few months later I remember the same girl come to our door in quite a different state. Her hair bleached blond and tangled, and her body bruised. I remember sitting in the office listening to her story of finding herself in a taxi on her way to a client, deciding to get out on the way, only to be beaten up by her friend for not following through. Listening to this scared, young girl, as she poured out her heart, I remember holding back my own tears and quietly praying for the strength to be strong for her... Six years later I am at the Beira Mar beach front. A group of women walk past and one of them says: “Oi tia Elisabeth.” It was Anna. The young girl, now young woman was, stood in front of me, and yet my heart sunk as I saw how dead the expression in her face was and how ragged her body looked. We sat down there by the sea and talked. At first her answers were affirming that she was doing fine, yet the fake smile and lack of life in her eyes shared a different story. As I asked her if she was doing programas her response was: ”I won’t lie, tia, I am. But I like it!” We talked a little more and I prayed for her, before she went off to join her friends. Seeing her go I realized that she might even believe what she told me at some level. A girl so lost she believed she was living in freedom.

The other beach moment brings a smile to my face even as I write it. It’s the story of Isabel and the setting is a beach in Zandvort aan Zee, just outside of Amsterdam. The story of a woman I met in a window whose life changed forever when she met Jesus. The beach part of her journey was her baptism. And the baptism “pool” was the North Sea in May. I remember the joy and celebration of life, and I remember the coldness of the water as we ran into it to baptise her. Yet, what I remember most was her testimony of how she was stuck in darkness and Jesus came and gave her life. The memory of that moment almost a year ago means even more knowing that she continues to walk day by day with God. Knowing that as people are out ministering to women who are where she was, she is interceding on their behalf; asking God to meet them and change them, the way He has her.

I don’t know what happened to Anna. It’s been 7 years since that encounter. But I still pray for her from time to time when I think of her. I hope that the future she was walking into when I met her has changed and that maybe, just maybe one day I’ll meet her again and she’ll not be so lost anymore.

As I am remembering; the recent and the distant, I realise that this remembering is also part of processing this journey. Facing a moving on is also about looking back and realizing what my journey has been. And as these memories trigger other memories, and many many faces return to my mind and heart, I realize that although I haven’t lived that long, my life even to this point has been so rich. Rich because I’ve been allowed to love so many amazing people. Rich, not just because of the happy, joyful moments, but also because of being allowed be to share in pain and hardship. And I am even richer because I find that the same way I carry so many in my heart, there are others who in the same way carry me in their hearts. And that brings me joy.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o