Skip to main content

Stepping into a new season.

Debrief has been completed, final newsletter has been sent out, and thank yous to supporters have been posted. I am moving into my apartment and starting a new job in a few days. It feels like I am definitely coming to the end of this stage of transition and stepping into a new season in life.

It’s strange and surreal. The pile of things yet to pack and boxes ready to be moved are a good visual of how the next few days and weeks feel a little bit like a mountain ready to be faced and conquered. Yet I can finally see the end of it. I signed my rental contract yesterday and am ready to make my apartment a home for the next while. Tomorrow will be a busy day packing, but a good day in anticipation of finally being able to unpack and actually have a kitchen, lounge, and bedroom as my living space and be able to create a space for my belongings (which would have been much more numerous had I not been living abroad for so long).

The weeks that have passed have been quite emotional and hard at times, so find a few little posts I have written since my last post here. They are not very hopeful but quite real and so I think it’s time to share them as part of the journey, yet in light of the hope that saturates the point of the journey I find myself at right now.

Thursday 17 July 2014

Melt down.

Tears. Many tears just welling up and pouring down my face. Not because I’m sad or in pain. Just tears. Changes, decisions, the unknown. Sometimes it just gets a bit much and a bit overwhelming… and the tears come. It’s like all the pressure that has been built up inside has to come out and comes out as tears.

Being home yet feeling like such an outsider. Being so different from the people who live her. I might look totally like them, but my life hasn’t been like their lives. Finding myself pulled into the mindset that worries about money. Where calculations are made carefully and the limitations are financial. Where decisions are made within the boundary of means.

Living by faith, not quite knowing how much would come in gave me such a sense of security and peace… I knew I would always have enough. And yet here I am applying for jobs and calculating rent and bills and wondering if I’ll get a job that will help me break even every month. It’s a strange sensation to potentially have so much more, and yet feeling like I have so much less.

The realization that life will be so different… yet wondering if it will be. I am still the same me and my heart is still the same. Wondering if I’ll get to do something that makes a difference with my life here in Norway beyond sitting behind a computer doing administration. And yet at the same time a reality where that is all I need to deal with seems so tempting some days. Other days I miss the challenge of meeting people in desperate need and walking alongside them and seeing them grasp onto hope. I guess this is what transition looks like. No day is the same, yet they are all moving me into the next season.

This is probably what you’d call reverse culture shock in some sense… a sense of home yet not home. The wave that just comes and it’s no use fighting it… the best move is just to sit it out.

I look forward to getting done with transition. I look forward to being more settled and figuring out how my life can make a difference in Norway.

And until then I will just take the tears when they come, knowing that this too will pass.

July 2014

Summer revisited.

Childhood memories of swimming in the sea and long summer days at our cottage on the beach filled my mind as I was doing just that; swimming in the sea on a summer’s day. In the midst of moving back to my home town it has been such a blessing to have a part of summer here and what a summer it has been. 28 degrees warmth and 22 degrees in the sea. Perfect. The other day I was floating in the sea with such a sense of peace. And I was so thankful for the gift of Summer this year. A breathing space in the midst of a lot of changes.

Monday 11 August 2014

The power of purpose and hope.

It’s been a tough week. Reality is hitting- hard. And even if I have wonderful family around me who are with me, I still feel so alone. Alone in having to figure out life in Norway. Alone in having to find a job and apply for whatever positions seem to fit me. Alone in having to make decisions no one else can make for me.

It’s not like I haven’t had to go through these kinds of times before, but the difference is that when I’ve had to do all the settling in and figuring out before in the different places I’ve lived, I’ve had such a sense of purpose attached to it. I’ve literally been on a mission. And now I’m not.

I know I’m to live here in Norway, and I really want to live here close to my family. But as to the purpose in life- it’s hard to grasp what that is.

I was watching an episode of ER today where the doctors are in the Congo saving lives. It brought back memories of when I watched the exact same episodes in Fortaleza, finding relief from the extreme situations we were faced with in our work in watching fictional tragedy based in reality. And as I watched it today it was as if my lack of purpose was increased by the intense purpose there. I don’t like looking for a job simply because I will have bills to pay. I don’t like worrying about what my pay will be more then what my job will be. But reality is that bills do have to be paid, and that being alone means that I do have higher expenses then when they are shared with someone else.

And so I realize that even if my circumstances have changed, I do need to find purpose and hope here also. Life is to be lived, and if I am not finding life in what I’m moving into, then it’s probably not supposed to be a part of it.

Many ponderings. Ups and downs. Tears and smiles. That’s transition for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o