Skip to main content

The green house on the corner bringing perspective.

Perspective. Good to have sometimes, especially when life is hard work. Not because my life is horrible in any definition of the word, but just because I still feel like I am walking on that bridge between two places and seasons, and am not settled into this new yet.

Perspective. As I was walking this morning I passed a green house situated on the corner of two intersecting roads. It caught my attention because it looked a little bit like how I feel at the moment. One side was nicely painted (probably a recent paint job) while the other side was flaking off and looked worn. It was an interesting sight. And it made me stop and ponder. I realised that in some ways I have it all together; I have the basics to live and seem capable of facing life head-on. Yet in other ways I feel so flaky and uncertain. Unsure of how to do life in Norway. Unsure of how things function and how I am meant to be now I’m back in my own culture which has become so foreign, yet at the same time is so familiar.

Perspective. On Thursday work was quiet. I was the only one in the office, and although I was communicating, it was more the written kind then the spoken kind. After getting off the train I decided to go pick up the Jojo Moyes book I had reserved at the library (side note: I love libraries here in Norway. They are free and the system is so simple). As I left the library I realised that the conversation I’d had with the librarian to find out how to get my book was the first one I’d had all day with another human being. It really struck me. Both because it made me ponder my day in a new way, but mostly because I realised that where that is an exception for me, it might be the reality of some peoples’ lives. That where I can feel a bit alone and lonely at times, other people might only occasionally feel accepted and like they belong.

Perspective. Sometimes I seem to think that to get perspective I need to remove myself from the situation and try to see it from a different angle. But I think it’s possible to have perspective even when I’m in the midst of walking something out which consumes my vision. And that is what I desire to have. At the moment life seems to have one challenge after the other pop up (not huge crises, but just small things which together become mountains I need to conquer). I don’t have to let the challenges become the lens through which I view my journey. I can choose to face the challenges, but see the greater picture. And instead of being overwhelmed by the mountain, I can choose to climb it and make it a stepping stone to seeing an even greater view of what lies beyond. It’s easier said than done. Sometimes tears of frustration and a feeling of defeat precedes the climbing, but whether the journey is one of getting straight to the top or one of taking a longer route, the road always leads me to overcome the obstacles.

And that gives me courage to keep walking, even when I feel mostly like the worn green wall with flaky paint.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o