Skip to main content

Building a life.

Living is a process of building. Building life. Building relationships. Building a routine and a day-to-day. I have been reflecting recently on the process of building in this season of my life. As different bricks in life are coming into place, it’s almost like an invitation to be faithful in how I build them into my life and steward them. I can either hold them loosely or choose to fix them into this life I am building.

I recently added an extra job into the mix. A job where I work with people. People who function differently and yet still have complete value in the eyes of God. People who I find it a challenge to connect with, and yet realize are very much connected into the heart of God. Again it’s an invitation to embrace the opportunity to get revelation of what God’s heart looks like for these ones. As I work with them I want to see them not just as another job I am doing, but as a job I can do with purpose and the right perspective.

Perspective. Life is lived through perspective. Right now the pace of life has gone from slow to heading into busy, and yet I desire to see it not just through the perspective of walking through the tasks of every week, but through a perspective where my life can have a greater purpose then just making ends meet and contributing to our society functioning.

Society. It’s funny how it seems like having entered into the Norwegian society, there are a number of expectations and things that are simply part of living in a country of many shifts in weather and climate. With outdoor activities being high on the list of extracurricular activities in the life of the “average” Norwegian, raingear, skiing equipment, wellington boots, raincoat, hiking boots, winter jacket, and numerous items of clothing made of wool make up quite a list of needed items. Yet at the same time I look at my life and wonder how much of it is really necessary. I don’t want to fall into the trap where I feel like I “need” a bunch of things to be in place here. And yet, I must admit that I do see the wisdom of it. The wisdom of a raincoat and boots when it’s cold and raining, so I suppose I will have to acquire them in time.

I keep building. Building a home and a life here in Norway. Trying to be intentional in the places I am and go, and steward the things I am doing well, while looking for God’s heart in them.

And as I build and journey, and as life goes from slow to busy, I try to remain at peace. At rest in God which is a “rest” that doesn’t change with the pace of activity. A peace and a rest which is constant and eternally available.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o