Skip to main content

The warmth of the sea in a sun-kissed land.

Sometimes it is so good to get on a plane and go somewhere completely different for the sole purpose of rest and refreshment.

Yesterday I was walking home from work in pouring down rain with my raincoat tightly wrapped around me. Today I woke up to blazing sunshine. As the afternoon nears evening, the warm breeze and reflection in the blue pool water reminds me that this is just the first of many days of sunshine with no agenda.
After a busy getting used to my new job, and finally starting to find a flow at quite a busy pace, it is so nice to have a break. Time to enjoy family, get recharged and reflect on the past 4 months of working with people whose lives represent challenges and journeys so different from mine. And yet at the same time it is possible to find a meeting point, because at the end of the day it is really just about me as a person meeting another person and hoping to see and bring them hope and courage to live and face life.
After landing in Larnaca airport, the charter company efficiently shuttled us to an awaiting bus which took us to our hotel in Anais bay near Fig Tree Bay in Cyprus. Arriving at night meant the anticipation of today was that much greater. And today has not disappointed. A lovely pool right outside the apartment door, and the beach just 2 minutes down the road. And the sea. Oh, the sea. It is truly amazing. Not in a majestic, powerful way, but because it is so calm and warm and salty and like a huge bathtub inviting you in. I look forward to many a swim in it, and small colourful fish swimming by makes it even more tropical.
Cyprus is beautiful. The climate and the scenery a dry desert feel, yet with beautiful flowers and trees everywhere. This area is a bit of a touristy place. All the shops and restaurants are very clearly aimed at the tourist population and the theme of holiday. Not sure how much of the authentic culture I'll experience apart from the tourist version, but that's alright because for this week I am one of them. One of the tourists. Even if I won't get to see the culture from the inside I get to see what this people want to show us who visit. The things they are proud of in their nation and of their culture, and there is such value in that.
The shade is now covering the pool area and I am enjoying my crime novel set in Venice. This evening we're hoping to enjoy a Meze meal. It is good to be in Cyprus and I look forward to good days ahead.

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the 17th of May. But for any Norwegian, this particular date isn't like any other date in the year, it's the 4th of July of Norway. And this year I am actually here. However, some preparations had to be done to get ready for tomorrow. One was getting my national costume down from the loft. I got it a few days ago and tried it on. It's a wee bit tight, but I think it'll be fine. This evening I ironed (or rather started ironing) the blouse which is hand embroydered and made of linnen (so those of you who have a clue about fabrics, know that linnen is the opposite of no-crease material). And the second part of the preparation was polishing the silver. I tried the "foil-in-hot-water-with-salt" method, but I don't think it worked too well. I did a bit of polishing with toothpaste after that and it looks alright. At the end of the day I'm the only one who will notice the level of polishedness of my silver. I have also got my camera on charging re...

At a crossroads yet again.

This evening feelings of weariness flood my soul. Weary of not knowing. Weary of choosing to trust. Weary of waiting. Weary of walking yet not knowing what I am walking in or towards. Weary of figuring out life on my own. This past month the reality of crossroads in life has hit me yet again. I knew it was coming, but suddenly it was there and I just had to go with it. There’s not much more I can do...except waiting and trusting and choosing. Choosing to let God be the One who guides and fights and prepares the path before me. My crossroads is “do I stay or do I go”? From Kansas City and IHOP-KC. In October I’ll have been here two years, which feels like 5 years and at the same time 6 months. In December I go home for Christmas. It’ll have been a year since last time and I’ll be seeing my niece who’ll be 3 instead of 2 years old, and my little nephew who will be 1 year already, and I’ll get to meet little Julie who is only three weeks old as I write this. She’ll be 4 months when I meet...

On the move again...

As I walked wheeling the trolley containing two suitcases and a rucksack (belonging to my middle brother who has bought himself a new one) I felt tears stinging in my eyes and threatening to push their way out. I suddenly felt so very small and the airport so very big. I’d got off my 45 minute flight from Sola to Oslo, got my bags from the baggage claim (the airline I flew with lets you decide how many bags of luggage you want to take against a small fee, and so I was able to bring not one suitcase weighing 20 kilos, but a suitcase and a rucksack), bought my train ticket for the last leg of my journey, and was walking along in search of a cup of coffee and a waffle to kill the half hour till the train. Walking along I caught myself thinking about this new stage in life. I wondered why this move up to the YWAM base here in Norway seemed so huge, when moving to Brazil obviously was a bigger move, at least further away. And then it occurred to me that when I’d been travelling back and for...