Skip to main content

A long walk to a better future.

As we pulled up it looked like a normal house, but rounding the corner we saw that it was larger than it appeared. Through the lit windows we spotted people moving about and we walked up the steps to the front door with anticipation and curiosity. Waiting for them to open I wondered what it was like inside and how we would communicate.

Stepping in we were met with faces and languages unknown to us, combined with the normal activities that would characterize a home with teenagers in it. Our purpose was to visit one of these, a teenage girl who had made the long journey from Africa to Norway, walking into a more secure future.

After a few minutes we found one of the staff who took us to meet this beautiful girl. She and the other girls were bustling around in their living space, and there was much life and laughter. What you would expect from teenage girls. The pink roses were received with joy, and in want of a proper vase, a makeshift one was made out of the base of a coke bottle with a large stone in the bottom to keep it steady. “I like pink”, she said with a shy smile. Most girls like pink.

We sat down in the red sofas. She fetched us tea and clementines, and quickly made us both cups of strong sweet tea. A very welcome warmth coming in from the cold outside. We gave her chocolate and a gift from a friend who couldn’t make it. Opening it her face lit up at the sight of the beautiful figure of an angel carrying a heart. “I will keep it in my room”, she said, holding the precious symbol of friendship with a careful grasp. 

Our conversation was slow in a mixture of Norwegian words and some English bound together with gestures. Other girls would pass by, some listening to music or doing other things, all eager to test the words they’d learnt in Norwegian on us, and causing lots of laughter as we tried to communicate beyond “hello” and “how are you?”

We talked about her life in this temporary home. We talked about her journey to get here walking for days and traveling through numerous countries to finally this one. She proudly showed us photos of her family and many of herself in different places. “Selfies” which is what teenagers are into these days. As the minutes and hour passed, familiarity and trust grew. We went from being strangers sitting around a table, to being three women sitting closely together in the sofa to look at the photos on her phone of what the past months had been in her life. A bond was formed, and even if we had never met before, we were able that evening to share a bit of life.

Even if she and the others are just teenagers, and the same as any other teenagers in behaviour and interests, they have a story unlike that of most teenagers. And with that, a thankfulness which is incredible and brings such perspective. A perspective on what is important in life and a thankfulness that invites me in. Not a “relief” that I have never had to flee my country, because that would mean something different, but a challenge to be thankful for what I am living and what I have. Thankful for what I have been blessed with, and challenged to not hold on to that, but seek opportunities to share of who I am. It doesn’t take much to bring fellowship to someone just for a moment.

Standing outside shivering in the cold waiting for our taxi to come, we joked and laughed with her. Gone was that initial slowness in communication and laughter can communicate what many words can’t. We hugged her tight as we left.

Driving away we were left with such a sense of privilege. Privilege that we got to met her and get to know this beautiful person a little bit. But also privilege that we got to step into her journey, if only for an evening. It reminded me to not underestimate the power of a moment. So many times we do nothing because we think we don’t have time or capacity. But often a moment or an hour or an evening is enough. And I needed to be reminded of that.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o