Skip to main content

The hidden suffering.

“They gave me your number and said I could contact you.” I’d pulled over while driving as my phone just kept ringing. Not being good at multitasking while driving, I decided that to find out what was so urgent, it was better to pull into a parking lot and attend to the persistent caller. The voice caught me off guard, and it took me a few seconds to connect the voice speaking in Spanish to the conversation I’d had which led to this one.
 
The next day I met her outside the cafe where we had arranged to meet. A small lady with a nervous expression and a quiet demeanour came to the door of the cafe. I asked her if it was her I was meeting, to which she responded that it was. We sat down on the benches covered in cushions, and while I slowly sipped my double-latte, she started to tell her story. A story she’d carried alone for so many years. A story of deep despair mixed with glimpses of miracles. The story of a journey of seeking for more to life then what her country could offer.

As I journeyed with her through her story I found my heart breaking for this little lady. She told of circumstances that had deeply scarred her, and relationships bringing grief and sorrow. As she walked me through what she had lived, we arrived at the place she is in right now. A place of deep suffering. A place where endurance is linked to the tiniest of expectation of something better to come. A place that at times has caused her to think that death might be a better option than to continue living.

I listened and she talked.

As I felt her desperation and listened to what she has to face day after day, my human mind started to think about options to help her get out of her suffering and abuse. Her situation seems to have no solution other then getting her out of it. But then I remembered to ask her. It’s so important to ask the most important question before we start bringing solutions: “What do you want? Do you want help to get out of your situation?” Her answer didn’t completely surprise me. For many the inability to see another option causes them to choose suffering and the familiar, because the alternative is terrifying and impossible. And that is where she is at. The summary of her answer was: “no.”

I told her that I respected her choice, but that there are ways to help her should she change her mind. And I said that I wanted her to remember that her life is so incredibly valuable, and as we parted ways I said I would be praying for her. Her face lit up, just a little, when I said we could meet for coffee again sometime.

As I watched the little lady walk away she seemed a bit lighter. Her circumstances and journey is still the same (and will be unless her choices change), but sharing ones burden with someone has a way of lightening it and I hope that is what she felt.

Walking home from having heard a bit of her story my heart was breaking. Tears threatened to escape my eyes, and my heart was weeping for her and with her. I felt her hopelessness and so desperately wanted to help her. Yet at the same time I felt such a sense of privilege. Privilege that this little lady would entrust me with her broken story. That she would feel at ease to open her heart to a stranger who could speak her language. And it gave me a sense of respect or awe or something like that feeling you get when you are holding something very fragile in your hands and you’re afraid to break it. I want to hold her and her story well.

And so as I sit here and pray and think about this little lady, I am struck by how when you look at her you don’t see her story. She doesn’t wear her suffering on the outside, but is carrying it hidden inside. And today I was invited in to hear a part of it, and that is precious and heartbreaking.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o