Skip to main content

Oh Morocco, your people fill my heart.


It’s amazing how much living and experiencing can be packed into just a week. As I let my mind wander back to the past week, I remember the cracked and dry ground in the mountains, the tagine (meat and vegetables cooked in a clay pot with a pointy lid) eaten with bread (i.e. no cutlery), the sugary hot tea, bantering at the market, fresh pomegranate juice, and of course, the incredible beauty of the people. A week of living in Morocco.

As I stepped off the airport and felt the warm evening air hit my face, I felt such joy. Walking towards the airport terminal I was struck by the beauty of the sandy coloured lattice which adorned the outside of the building. Passing through all the customary steps to enter a country, I was impressed by the friendliness of the people, and as I was hugged meeting my friends picking me up, I knew this was going to be a good week.

Marrakech.

It was fascinating seeing small carts overflowing with pomegranates on every corner, and as I took a closer look, they were little sales stalls selling fresh-pressed pomegranate juice. Determined to experience all I could of the local flavours and tastes, I bought a cup and it was delicious. Sweet and tangy and refreshing. I hurried to catch up with the group I was with, yet not without trying to take in all the impressions which are constant and many in a new city with a culture unknown. I’d see women with their headscarves and men talking on street corners. The city was a mix of new and modern with old and worn. And yet, it had that familiar feel of big city.

We ate lunch with our hands; lemon chicken tagine with bread which was delicious, and then went to Starbucks for coffee. Sitting there chatting we also got to see a glimpse of another side of the city seeing some girls sitting at another table ready to work.

In the evening we took a taxi to Jemaa el-Fnaa, the huge city market in the medina quarter which is the old city. Driving along the busy roads at night, and coming up to the huge beautifully lit mosque outside the market was impressive. Stepping out into a multitude of people made me pay extra close attention to where my friends were, as it would be so easy to get lost among the many others there for the evening. It was so huge. On the large open space were stalls with fresh juice, food, nuts and fruits, and I caught a glimpse of snake charmers, people dancing traditional dances, women with their faces covered, and others sitting around for the evening. All you could imagine and more in a place where locals and tourists congregate.

As we headed across the square towards the market stalls (in small rooms in the old city area) my heart was so moved as I walked past young mums from Syria with their babies begging. It was such a contrast to the joy of the other people on the square there for community and enjoyment. I wondered what their lives were like, and how they saw their lives having survived fleeing war, yet finding themselves at the mercy of peoples’ giving to survive. I don’t know what the situation is for these women, but it made me yet again reflect on how incredibly fortunate and blessed I am. I gave one of the mums some money. Not because I think it will make a huge difference in the long term, and not even because I wanted to feel good about myself, but because I couldn’t not do something. And it reminded me that even a little can make some difference, and it challenged me to be even more attentive to the needs around me that I can do something about (and not just financial or material needs).

Entering the market area was chaotic. If you looked even slightly towards an item in a stall, the sellers were very quick to offer to show you the item and others which resembled (or didn’t resemble at all) what had caught your eye. And the bargaining... so not my personality at all! It felt so rude to categorically disagree with every price quoted, and yet I realised it’s part of the way it’s done, and so with some help from my friend who is a bit more local then me, I managed to buy some small things at a reasonable price. So many beautiful things to buy. It was amazing to see such creativity displayed through the items for sale; scarves, clothes, jewellery, woodwork, metal work, ceramics, argan oil, leather items... the list is endless, and as I was back a few more times, I wished I’d had more space in my suitcase (or a larger suitcase), as there were so many beautiful things I would have loved to buy as gifts.

The city days went by quickly, and it was also such a privilege to get a glimpse of every-day-life as I went with my friends to do errands. It’s a very relational culture and so doing errands always involves relating to people (as well as navigating crazy traffic). Then it was time to get ready for the next leg of the journey and I found myself packing (or squeezing my newly acquired purchases into my suitcase) for the journey to the mountains.

The mountains- Tidili.

Loading up the numerous suitcases we, and the team we were with, had with us into the van, we were ready to head to the mountains. We drove for 3 hours upwards along windy mountain roads, being stunned by the beauty of these rusty red and grey coloured mountains surrounding us. Many photos were taken as we passed by one stunning view after the other. After surviving the drive we arrived at the small town of Tidili. Our purpose to serve the community there. We were accommodated in the town’s guest house which resembled a castle on the top of the hill. It was special to be on the height overlooking the town with villages scattered around.

We bundled up as the temperature had dropped from a hot Marrakech with 25-30 degrees Celcius to probably around 10 degrees Celcius. After a delicious meal of lamb tangine with amazing bread and fresh clementines, we went for a little tour of the town. It was like nothing I have seen before. Being so high up and in a deserty climate everything was quite dry, and the ground was cracked, dry, red soil. I was struck by how few people were out and about, and as we walked along I felt excited by the privilege of getting to know this community a little better over the next few days.

Our tour of the town ended at the boarding school. Most of the villages have primary schools, but when the children reach the age of 12 there are fewer options. The students who live far away can live at the boarding school during the week and will then walk (or take some form of transportation) home to their villages for the weekend. The school was so lovely and we were received so well. We went into the dining room, and it didn’t take very long before we were interacting with the girls. Language was a challenge as I don’t speak Arabic or French or the local language, and yet we were able to communicate on a very surface level using the few English words some of the older girls knew. They were so beautiful and full of life and personality. Over the next few days there were many opportunities to hang out with them, and I found myself longing to be able to speak with them at a deeper level. To hear their dreams and hopes for the future, to hear their stories. But with words being scarce, smiles and hugs could at least communicate a love and appreciation. And learning the names of some of them helped me build a little relationship for the few days I was there. They made their way into my heart, and my hope is that each one of them gets the opportunity to be and do all they were created for.

Back down the mountain.

With my suitcase tied to the roof of the taxi with a piece of rope, I got into the front seat of the beginning of an adventure. I was heading back to Marrakech in a shared taxi with a local driver and local passengers; none of whom spoke English. I was excited because the driver was a friend of our contact in the town, and yet a little nervous as I realised that communication would be a challenge. As we started driving I sat in silence, mostly because there was no way of having a conversation, but also because the rest of the taxi was quiet, only interrupted by the driver having loud conversations on his mobile phone. The radio played local music interspersed by some radio programs in French. It was a fascinating experience to be so reliant on strangers to bring me safely to my destination.

After a few stops to pick up people the taxi was full and we drove for a while. Seeing the stunning scenery again made me think about the beauty of creation, and my thoughts also drifted back to the beautiful people I had just spent the past week with. My heart was filled with thankfulness and peace.

Then we suddenly stopped in a little town. The passengers and driver got out of the taxi and one of the young men motioned that it was a food stop. I sat down at a table on the small pavement cafe and the waiter asked if I wanted some tea. I slowly drank my super sweet fresh mint tea, as I wondered how long we would stop for, and hoping that no-one would offer me food. I wasn’t hungry and the lamb carcasses hanging in front of me didn’t really help in creating an appetite. It was interesting though, to observe the locals selecting what piece of the lamb they wanted, and then bring it over to get it grilled. I guess “cooked to order” was very literal there. After probably half an hour, a cup of tea and pack of biscuits (which an old man very kindly helped me buy with his broken English) later, we were ready to set off again on the silent journey.

I arrived safely at my destination; the home of a kind lady who spoke English and who had offered to show me around the city before I flew home. It was a lovely afternoon of getting to know more of the history and culture of the city, and getting to meet some of her friends in the market. One highlight was visiting a lady who made beautiful jewellery and leather items, and seeing how a skilled young man made honeyspoons by using his hands and toes on a special machine. So many impressions again to fill my memory bank and heart.

Leaving with a pomegranate.

Time went by far too quickly, and suddenly it was time to get a taxi to the airport. As we started driving, the taxi driver turned to me with a huge smile on his face, and handed me a large pomegranate as he said “for you madam”. I accepted it thankfully and it became my final packing challenge of the trip; transporting this large fruit home in an already overfilled hand luggage (but I managed and enjoyed it’s sweet tartness for dessert the next day).

Still “landing” and processing...

Coming back I realise that my Morocco week has done something with me. It’s opened my eyes to a culture and people I knew little about. And when you open your heart to people, they find a place there and you change. Change because what you carry in your heart has changed or even increased, and that changes the filter through which life is processed. I carry the beautiful teenage girls with me in heart and prayer, wondering if I will meet them again sometime. And I carry my new friends and their dreams and visions for the people of Morocco. I find my thoughts going back to the uniqueness of the culture with a curiousness and desire to know it deeper than just surface level. And I catch myself seeing my own life in a slightly different light, filtering it through the added layers of loving a people so different from my own.

Slowly adjusting back to my “every-day”, my hope and prayer is that I would not let the experiences of the past week fade into oblivion. I hope that my eyes would be more tuned into the needs around me here, and that my heart’s capacity to respond would keep increasing. And that having come to love those I met there, would give me a greater ability to love those around me here better.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o