Skip to main content

Tuesday thoughts and a reflection for Wednesday.

Sometimes it’s hard to find words to put life into. Not necessarily because life is exceptionally good or bad, because it’s just life. And even if the day-to-day brings many reflections and processes with it, typing them out in a manner that is understandable beyond the author isn’t always as easy as thinking them.

I love writing, and yet months have passed since updating this blog. A blog I write mostly as a reminder to myself of what my journey these years has looked like; because like most people I am prone to forgetting once something new fills up the space in my immediate memory.

I am sat at my kitchen table. A half-written page of my journal lies next to me, and a vase of wilted tulips stand in front of me. On my wall I have a small selection of photos of loved ones and those I have met on some of my journeys. Faces that bring a smile to my heart.

It’s Tuesday evening and as good a time as any for a short reflection...

Today I was busy wrapping gifts to bring to our women’s evening in the local prison tomorrow. It not being the most demanding task mentally, it gave me ample time to think. I thought about church on Sunday, where I listened to a teenage girl share a bit of what her walk the past year has been about: a journey of “seeing the one”. A journey of being faithful and intentionally seeing and encouraging each one she meets. She shared with such joy and life of how something as small as smiling or wishing someone a good day can make a huge difference. And how it’s available for all of us. It was such a powerful reminder, and something I take with me. I don’t have to try to see the multitudes or masses, but simply be present and available to the person in front of me.

And I thought about what to share at the women’s evening to encourage them in what they are going through. And I remembered a situation in Brazil some years ago. We were organising a women’s lunch, and as we were handing out invitations in the brothels, one of them women said that my hair was so beautiful. I turned to her and said the simple phrase: “You are beautiful!”. Later that day we held the lunch, and many of the women came. It was a beautiful time of really honouring and bringing value and love to them. Towards the end of the lunch, as we were finishing up, I saw the woman I had met earlier, and she called me over. As I came up to her she called out to her friend, and pointing at me exclaimed: “This is the woman who called me beautiful!” It was such a strong reminder of the power of words, and of how a simple phrase, spoken in a matter of seconds, can make a difference that lasts a life-time... if the person chooses to receive it.

And so that is what I want to share with the women tomorrow. That our words can build life, and that it doesn’t take a lot of them to impact someone else’s life But also, that kind words given to us by others can change our lives, and make a difference in our hearts... if we choose to receive them and believe them.

So there you go... a few simple thoughts on a Tuesday evening. A reminder about seeing the one and speaking life- which if lived out can make a huge difference to us and those who cross our path.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o