Skip to main content

When an exceptional spring day brings me to the nations.

I am lying in my bright orange hammock (from IKEA) on my veranda this evening, with the gentle rocking bringing a peace, and the cup of Earl safely placed on a little stool by my side. I am pondering this day. An exceptional spring day here in Norway, although the past week has been like this climate wise- and we are not complaining.

Today was exceptional both because we’ve had 26 degrees (Celsius) heat, but also being Sunday, it provided a welcome opportunity to head out to the beach- my favourite place. My dad and brothers were busy with our cottage... the goal of the day was to move one large window, and put in two more on one of the walls- no small feat. And I had a lovely time hanging out with my mum, nieces and nephews, and sisters-in-law.

Sitting on the beach and enjoying the sunshine brought me back associations of Brazil. In the midst of the craziness of streetkids, and all the chaos they lived in, the beach was always such a place of refuge and refreshing. I remember often spending my day off on the beach, and thinking, “life as a missionary in Brazil isn’t too bad... on a day like this”. And most often it wasn’t bad as such, it just tended to get intense and at times overwhelming. Yet, also so full of the privilege of getting to become as family to those whose family bonds were so frayed.

My 6-year old niece kept insisting I come with her to the “island” (as in a sandbank where the water was more shallow), so I took her hand and ventured into the frigid sea (26 degrees on land doesn’t mean it’s the same in the North Sea). It didn’t take me more than probably a minute (or less) before I decided that my feet would definitely not survive remaining immersed in water at that temperature. I am not sure if I told my niece it was too cold, or simply convinced her it would be “so much more fun to dig a deep hole on the beach, and make our own paddling pool”. Either way, I was quickly back on land. And as I sat and watched her and many others, not only wade into the sea, but also swim and stay there for extended amounts of time, the memory of a cold experience in the North Sea came to mind.

I seem to remember it being early May some years ago, when a dear friend in Amsterdam was getting baptised. And since I’d played an important part in her journey, she decided I would be one of the baptisers. Of course I said “yes”, and I felt so honoured and privileged to be part of this important day for her. And yet, as I pondered the practicalities, I must admit I wasn’t too chuffed at the prospect of having to wade into the North Sea in the Netherlands in May, to a depth where one could baptise an adult. It was a beautiful day. I survived (and so did everyone else), and it was freezing (but nothing a quick change into dry, warm clothes couldn’t fix). And I would have done it again. Seeing my friend’s joy and celebration, and knowing what it meant to her, made it more than worth it.

The end of today, driving home barefoot and relaxing in the gentle rocking of the hammock, reminded me of the part of me that has become a bit Brazilian (wearing flip flops most of the time, meant a lot of barefoot driving, as it’s kind of risky if the flip flop gets stuck while one is driving, and hammocks were a must, and often a welcome alternative to a mattress for sleeping). It also made me think of friends scattered around the globe. Not just in Brazil or Amsterdam, but the USA, Europe, and beyond (it’s hard to keep track sometimes). Friends I wish were closer, because sometimes you just want to have a catch-up over a cuppa, and not be limited to words typed in an email or message, or different time zones.

And so here I sit. I’ve moved from hammock to table (I have yet to acquire the skill of typing efficiently on my laptop while sitting in a hammock). Familiar music is playing on my Spotify, and the air bubbles in my small aquarium create a lovely light feature. My third cup of tea this evening is empty, and I feel so rich. Rich to have had this day of enjoying what feels like Summer. Rich to be a part of a lovely family. Rich to have so many good memories to reflect on. Rich that I have friends I can miss. And rich that I have so very much to be thankful for. And that is what I want to remember to remind myself of on the days that aren’t as this one has been.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o