Skip to main content

Next week starts in Brazil.

When your day-to-day is hectic and full, it is sometimes easy to forget and look forward to that which deserves a lot of “looking-forward-to”. On Monday I fly to Brazil. A trip I am and have been really looking forward to, but also a trip which has in moments be far from my thoughts, because the trip itself seems so far away. And now it’s almost here.

I am going to visit a city which carries a place of home in my heart. When you live for years somewhere, I think it becomes part of who you have become, and ends up leaving a permanent mark on your life. Fortaleza is one of those places for me. A city I love. A city I lived in for seven years, which truly formed me, and was such a huge part of growing me into who I am today, and hopefully forming in a good way how I live and think and love people today.

I am who I am today, because of who I became through living and working there.

And now I am going back to visit. It’s been 21 years since I first set foot on Brazilian soil, 12 years since I ended the chapter of having home in Fortaleza, and 5 years since my last visit. So it’s time. It’s always a good time to visit the places that fill our hearts, although not always possible as life keeps going, and time and money often set a boundary. But the tickets are bought, and the time has been set aside, and on Monday I get on a plane Fortaleza bound.

I expect the two weeks to be full of matando saudades (literally: killing the missing) which is an expression of having missed something on a deeper level. I expect sunshine and getting “warmed through” (we just hit winter temperatures here where I live in Norway, and I don’t seem to manage to get warm). I expect to catch up with dear friends I haven’t seen for years, going to a wedding, enjoying the many flavours of Brazil which I miss and love, and seeing the Brazilian beaches which are stunning. And I expect to reconnect with the heart of God for this beautiful nation.

And I hope to be a blessing. I hope that I can encourage those I see, both old friends and maybe new ones I make. I hope to be able to serve and strengthen the amazing work my friends do there in bringing life and hope to the poorest in the city. And I hope to love God and people well.

Many thoughts and feelings as I gear up to go, and even if it’s just a “short” two-week visit, it feels different from travelling as a tourist to a new destination. It feels a little like returning “home” yet not really.

But Monday is still a few days away, and although my attention visits the “looking forward to going” place, there is still today, and tomorrow and Sunday. Days of work and people and meetings and shopping and a birthday and packing… and then getting up really early to head to the airport.

And so I need grace to be present today; present with each one I meet and converse with. And yet, I think it’s ok to occasionally let myself feel the butterflies of excitement and “looking forward to”, because it brings a smile to my face. And a smile is most often something that lifts others, and brightens the day of both those observing it and those who receive it.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o