Skip to main content

One week to go: a time of transition.

Drinking coffee and chatting, the reality that this is my final week lingered at the back of my mind. It made me appreciate the chats even more, and make sure I spoke out the good words I was thinking about those around me. After more then five and a half years at Crux, working with those building their lives after drug abuse and prison, it is time to move on. Not very far, but nevertheless bringing this season to a close.

It’s been years of a lot of joy, celebrating progress and life, as well as times of mourning those who are no more, and despair over those who chose differently. And I am so very thankful. Thankful most of all for all the amazing people I’ve met. To have gotten to know people who have resilience, and who have survived in spite of incredible hardship and challenges that would cause most of us to give up. And yet they have fought and are stronger, and are incredible individuals who have changed who I am. I am thankful for all I have learnt from them, and for the privilege of being invited into their lives and journey, and to have gotten to play a small part in building up them and their lives.

It’s not time to wind down. I want to “run the race to the finish line”, but the past weeks I have been winding away. Winding away from relationships in a good way, where many have experienced abrupt separations from people they have loved and trusted. Winding away from tasks that have become part of the routine and rhythm of the work day, and allowing others to step in and take them on. And working through the sadness of leaving that comes with the joy of transitioning into something new and exciting.

Friday I will bake a final cake (I have baked numerous cakes celebrating birthdays over the years) and then the chapter closes.

I start my job in a week. It will be strange to leave the place where I have spent all of my working hours for the past five and a half years. From being in missions where in some seasons you would unplug and pack up every few years, and then move your entire life to a new location with a new assignment; to now make a shift where the living conditions remain the same, but the assignment and workplace changes.

Big transitions require big space and lots of grace. Space because for a season you have to contain both what is and what will be in your heart and mind, and grace because sometimes it can all get a bit muddled up and overwhelming. At times you just have to sit down and let go, while keeping yourself from intervening and trying to take control and solve the challenges yourself. Because some things just work themselves out in time, and there is nothing you can do that would change or improve the outcome.

In a week I will sit here having completed my first day in my new job. You might wonder what it is…. it’s with a project that reaches out to vulnerable people bringing justice and hope, and walking alongside those whose lives are challenging. I don’t want to say more on a public blog, but if you know me you can write me and I’ll let you know.

So reflecting on all this I am thankful. Thankful that I get to work with people, and thankful for  God who leads me so well and orders my steps perfectly. And that brings peace and gratitude in the midst of transition.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o