Skip to main content

Dark winter evenings and the future.

I think it’s safe to say that winter is here. Last week we had a bit of snow, only a few flakes so nothing to get a Norwegian soul too excited by, but all the former puddles are now ice-covered and slippery (and great fun to trample on and break the ice).

A few weeks ago I cycled into Hamar, one of the neighbouring towns, and on my way back it was getting colder. The before just wet road, was now quite icy. Having cycled quite carefully most of the way home, I built up a bit of courage (mixed with a desire to get home quicker) as I was approaching the penultimate turn. However, being in the shade, the asphalt in that turn was icy, and the front wheel of my bike slid and I fell off the bike. Thankfully the bike was fine (it was borrowed so obviously my main concern), and I didn’t break any bones either. I did manage to graze my knee and hand, and my new jeans (which I spent an entire day finding) got a hole in the knee. Still, I do recognise that I was lucky. Cycling without a helmet (very unwise, I know!) I was grateful to not bang my head, because I think I would have kicked myself for cycling without a helmet if I had (not that I have a helmet to use, but I think some of my housemates have, so it’s really only a matter of asking to lend me one). Since this event I must admit I have decided that the cycling season if over for now, for me anyway. None of the bikes I borrow have winter tyres, and to be honest, I don’t know if I would feel any safer riding them even if they did.

Having put the wheels to rest, I have got into going for walks. I discovered that if I put on enough clothes, it is actually a refreshing experience to walk and get fresh air. Also this part of the country doesn’t have as much rain as my hometown, and so most days have a clear, often blue, sky. From doing only one walk, I have now expanded my territory and have tested out various directions and roads. Sometimes I get a bit lost, but usually I find my way back. The only drawback is that it is getting dark around 4:30 pm now, and so going for walks in the evening isn’t as enticing.

The dark evenings do bring a sense of cosiness being inside. Once the candles are lit and the pot of tea made (or coffee, especially freshly ground coffee made in a percolator with hot milk), often accompanied by some kind of cake (today it was blueberry pie and whipped cream), it is really lovely to sit in the kitchen/living room and chat. Very good bonding I must say.

The future. “Future” is such a big and distant word. But I suppose it describes the “what lies ahead” pretty well. These past weeks have been very mixed with regards to the “future”. As long as I didn’t really have a clue as to what I wanted to/ was meant to do come January, I was fine. I felt full of peace, relaxed, and full of trust in God. Then once I started deciding and discovering what I felt I was being led to, and that didn’t seem to be working out the way I’d expected it to, it was as if I stepped out of the peace. After having thought and wrestled with it for some days, I now understand that the direction I was going in was right, but it was just the “how” that wasn’t. So now I have stepped back into the peace and feel very excited for what God has in store.

Come January I pop across the ocean again to IHOP-KC for a while, and then we’ll take it from there. I find I am not too concerned with knowing beyond there, because I’ve seen so far in this Sabbath year that God is faithful in leading me step by step. And that is after all enough. I think that often if we know too many steps ahead at once, it becomes tempting to skip a few and reach the end quicker. And we forget that the process is often more important then the goal, and that it is on the journey that God forms us and prepares us for where we’re headed.

So that’s where I’m at right now. Journeying with God is exciting, if a bit daunting a lot of the time. But as I look back on life, I can see God as that “red-thread” of faithfulness, which sows together all that I have lived and am living.

Watch this space as I keep walking forward; one step at a time.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o