Skip to main content

Flexible introverting.

I seemed to be moving around a lot in October. Thankfully I am now back at Grimerud, and I think I’ll be here for a bit now…at least more than 3 days (I’ve been back 4 days now, so that is already true). Plus it’s now November, so I know for certain that there will be no more moving in October (unless I travel back to the future which I think is highly unlikely). I wonder if I’ll ever experience smooth transitions…seems that every time I go from one place to another there is always a period of adjusting. I suppose that is normal, but I am hoping it will get less tiring as life passes. At least heaven is for eternity, right.

Being home for the week was just what I needed. After being around lots of people in Kansas City (travelling in a group cuts down on introvert-recharging-on-your-own time), and then going straight into home-days which meant lots of people all day, it was lovely to get home to space and few people. During the days I had the house to myself. Great both to get some much needed space, and try to adjust back into Norwegian time. I was amazed at how long it took before I stopped finding myself wide awake at 2 am wondering how to get myself to sleep.

This has been quite a draining week for me…I started bright and early Monday morning translating for the DTS. I was geared up to start on Tuesday (which was the original plan), but then things changed, and so I started on Monday instead. Not a problem…as a good YWAMer I am always open to change and being flexible…and it also means I have tomorrow off which is nice. Thinking about it, I think it’s been draining not necessarily because of the day-change (which I honestly didn’t mind at all), but the fact that I have been translating from English to Norwegian. Always a lot more challenging seeing as I have spent most of my adult life in non-Norwegian speaking settings. However, there is nothing like a bit of challenge to help me grow as a person.

Life apart from this is pretty low key. We have a large Kings Kids conference here this weekend. As part of that we’re holding the café at the base open and I am going to give them a hand this evening. In a bit I am off for my training…it’s exciting! Makes me remember how (now) many years ago when Anna, Elisabeth, and I in Fortaleza were brainstorming ideas of how we really wanted to open a Scandinavian café in Fortaleza. Thinking about it now, I am not convinced it really would have become the most successful business venture ever, but we had a lot of fun talking and dreaming about it. Especially the waffles and cakes we were going to make (it might actually have worked with a profit because we would buy all our own food).

The weather is getting colder…the challenge each day is to know how many layers to put on so that I won’t freeze or suffocate…life is full of challenges (smiles).

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o