Skip to main content

A tad of rain.

After getting thoroughly soaking wet yesterday, it feels good to sit here at the Justice Prayer Room writing this (the old-fashioned way with pen and paper, which is obviously typed in at a later point to actually post it on the blog). The atmosphere is chilled, and more importantly, I am dry and warm. I was neither dry nor warm yesterday. You might be wondering how come I got so wet. If you keep on reading and you will find out…

Yesterday was the, oh so popular, St. Patrick’s day here in the USA (and I suppose the rest of the world also, though maybe not quite as big a deal in every nation on the globe). Did you know that St. Patrick grew up in Great Britain and was abducted and taken as a slave to Ireland when he was a child? Later on he returned after God speaking to him in a dream and planted hundreds of churches (I am assuming that he was freed and went back to Great Britain in between or it would be hard for him to return). The reason I posess this well of knowlegde about St. Patrick is that we were doing a survey with people to start conversations.

Well, this saint is celebrated with a huge parade here in Kansas City, and IHOP-KC do a float (i.e. contribution in the parade) in it. They participated last year and one first place, which is quite cool! There were plenty of plans for this year, but extremely heavy rain (it seriously chucked it down, some would say it rained really massive cats and dogs) meant most of what was planned out had to be left out (maybe they could save it for next year is my thought on the matter). We still had our large green mountain with a poor soul being St. Patrick on the top holding a cross. Bless him, he looked so cold in his St. Patrick’s costume covered by something which looked like a light-green plastic poncho thing…I don’t think he was very warm up there. The rest of us basically sang and did actions accompanied by drums (as opposed to a live amplified band). It was good though, and I think those who watched it enjoyed the energy and joy exuberating from us (both the meagre number faithfully sharing in the very cold and wet experience by standing along the parade route, as well as those a bit more comfortably positioned inside malls (read: shopping centres) looking out through the windows (that’s where you’d find me had I not actually been walking in the parade). So it was cold and wet, yet looking back (and having forgotten what it feels like to be shivering and soaked) it was really good! We chatted to people before the parade, but those who had ventured out were few and the huge masses of people were lacking for obvious reasons (in case you’re wondering what those reasons were: it rained and was cold).

So now I can add this to my list of “been there, done that” things. I have marched in a St. Patrick’s parade wearing green (nicely hidden under my waterproof jacket which didn’t really prevent my jeans and trainers from getting soaked) and praising Jesus.

Life apart from that is still good! Only 4 weeks left now. Time is flying, but I intend to make the most out of every moment!

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o