Skip to main content

Impressions from Barcelona...

I never did sit down to recount my trip to the famous "Pulpit Rock". But I was there and I bought the t-shirt (literally).
Now I'm sat on the hotel computer in Barcelona where I'm having a holiday and taking in impressions from this big city. It reminds me a lot of Rio de Janeiro...a lot due to the temperature, but also the people, the feel of the city, the smells, the noise and the appearance. I suppose it might be due to the fact that South America has had a lot of influence from this part of Europe.
As we were walking in the old part of the city today I walked past a woman begging. But it was unlike other beggars. She was wearing peach coloured clothes and her head was covered. Sat on the pavement with her head leaning towards the wall, looking away, the only indication that she was begging was the hand that was open and stretched out to indicate a request for some change. It was a strange sight. As if she was desparate, but maybe beyond desparation and had in a strange way given up, although she was still trying. Pondering her situation I kept walking, but the memory of her kept lingering as I continued to investigate the city and try to get a feel of what Barcelona is like.
After a lovely meal at a cafe recommended in Lonely Planet (the trusted turist guide), we were walking back along the very same street as before. The begging woman was still there. Still begging. And still with her whole body and gaze turned towards the wall. Again I felt that nudge to do something, and not wanting to give money, I mean how much of a difference would some change do anyway, I decided to see if she wanted some food maybe. Kneeling down next to her I gently tapped her on the shoulder and asked her in broken Spanish if she wanted some food. The positive response led me to go to a snack bar near by and buy a sandwich and some juice which I took back to her. She gratefully accepted it and after saying "God bless you!" (in broken Spanish) I left her and continued on my walk of the city.
I have no clue what, if anything, my gesture meant to her, but it makes me think about what kind of support there is for these kinds of people in this city. I am sure there are projects and people seeking to reach out to them. And I am sure that for many of the poorer people this time of year is the high season with lots of tourists who clear their consicence by doing as I did, giving some change or food.
Still I keep thinking about this woman. The way she sat turned away from everyone and everything. And I wonder- what is her lifestory?

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o