Skip to main content

”My garden is my life”. (And some photos from Barcelona.)

Well, it’s been over a week since returning from Barcelona, but I simply haven’t had time to sit down and write and so I thought that now was an opportune moment. I wanted to put into writing our meeting with the little old man. We were following one of the walking routes in Lonely Planet along the area of El Raval. Not really knowing what the sights were in the area we were walking in I saw a sign for ”hortas” (which means gardens) and so we decided no harm would be done in checking it out. As we walk over there is a closed gate and a little old man is stood outside holding a plastic bag and bucket. He was clearly leaving, and as we approached he very kindly informed us that the gate was locked. We smiled and I explained that we just wanted to take a peek and take a few photos (meaning through the gaps in the gate). I asked if we could take a photo of him with his produce (he looked like your typical old spanish man).

His response was heart warming in that he promptly put down what he had in his hands and took up his key. We were going to get a personal guided tour of the garden. Now, the gardens weren’t your ”show-off” gardens with lots of flowers and lawns and stuff, but a small area with 9 patches for 9 people to have their vegetable gardens in the middle of the big city. The little old man (which we forgot to ask the name of, and who I just addressed as ”senhõr” which is the polite way in Portuguese and so I figured the same thing probably applied to Spanish) told us he’d been selected through a lottery as the lucky user of patch 8. This was 5 years ago and he wasn’t sure if the re-evaluation would grant him the continued use of the patch.
He showed us his augergines, cucumbers (with flowers on the tip which is the part with the most flavour- I didn’t know that), tomatoplants, and gave us a large bunch of assorted herbs (mint, rosemary). It was so sweet. As we were leaving he asked me to guess his age (what on earth do you guess then…I mean, you risk deep offense), so I took a shot and guessed 70. That was not correct and after a few tries we were informed that he was 86 (or was it 87). He was a widower and as he put it himself ”my garden is my life!”. Not being a huge eater he would come and harvest whatever was ripe every day and then give it away to his neighbours, the people in the pharmacy, and probably any other person in want of some home-grown vegetables.

As we left him to lock up the gate he said that whenever we were around we were welcome to come along and see his garden, to which we said we were very grateful for his time and that it had been lovely to speak with him. Then we continued on our way, but now carrying our bunch of herbs which smelt like a mixture of rosemary and mint.

Now you might wonder how we managed to communicate. Did this little old man speak English? Well, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that when other languages weren’t available for communication, I managed to get by quite comfortably in an improvised Spanish (created by the Spanish I’ve picked up along the way and a spanification of Portuguese). I didn’t understand everything he said, and I might very well have misunderstood parts, but I did feel like we were communicating well, and in this situation that was what was important.
Below (hopefully as I am writing this in word) I’ve put some photos of me and the little old man, and also some other photos from Barcelona capturing some moments and things that caught my attention. Ok, so I only manage to add these two pictures- I don't know what I am doing wrong...
But I suppose the questions are: can you spot me in the Gaudí park? And where does this soft drink originally come from?










Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o