Skip to main content

Nothing like a few extra hours… and two more ponderings.

And then 4 hours became 6 ½ hours…a slight delay to my flight to Chicago. I am still in Denmark. It’s not really a problem as such (apart from a great risk of getting very bored), but it’s a shame that I now have to try to get in touch with the people who are picking me up at the airport to say I’m going to be very late- in fact I will probably not get to Kansas City till Wednesday morning. The joys of travelling.

I found a little bar/café where I could plug in my laptop and even connect to the internet for free! Jippi! Which means I can sit on the internet and do some emails, and of course get these scribbles (if you can call something typed a scribble) posted. I am also feeling less stuffy, although my voice is still of questionable quality…the journey continues- literally.

On my way: Copenhagen airport

I am sat here writing this with my soundproof headphones in my ears which makes this a bit of a surreal experience as what I hear is music being transported from my laptop into my ears, but what I see is an airport alive with people walking to and fro, all on their way to somewhere or simply going through yet another day at work. I am now thoroughly on my way.

My head is stuffy and my voice is not at it’s best. Thankfully I managed to say enough to get a chicken and bacon sandwich at the Café Ritazzo (something like that) with a cup of creamy hot chocolate. I figured something warm would make me feel better and it did. I do hope my voice is restored by the time I get to the US immigration or it’s going to be a bit tricky answering their questions there.

So, what it is like to be on my way? Well, I don’t know really. I don’t think I’ve really completely got it yet. I’ve been doing so many smaller journeys in the last few months it seems like it could be just another one of those, except it isn’t. I am excited. It is going to be good to get to where I’m headed, but right now I feel a bit sad. Sad because I don’t know when I’ll see my family again. I managed to not cry when I said goodbye to my wee niece yesterday (it probably helped that I wasn’t feeling 100%, my senses were a bit numbed). She is just the most gorgeous girl in the world. And I did hold my tears back as I hugged my mum goodbye at the airport. It’s a funny thing, as many times as I’ve travelled to far off places, I still feel sad when I have to leave people behind. You’d think I’d be a hardened traveller by now, but in some ways I think I’ve become even softer. Maybe it’s the age….who knows.

So here I’m sat. I tried to get online, but it’s not important enough to pay lots of money for it. I did get my hopes up when my computer detected 3 unsecured wireless networks, but then I realised that they are unsecured, yet secured unless you pay, and that I didn’t. I’m hoping I might find more favourable conditions at Chicago airport.

I think I need to join the people wandering around the airport now…they’re my people, at least for a few hours. Maybe I’ll find some exciting shop I can look in, or maybe I’ll even find a comfortable chair I can sink into and chill for a few hours. And then I’ll have to have a cup of tea and maybe cake a bit later on. My theory is that travelling is so much more enjoyable if you think of fun activities to fill the time with, and cake and Earl Grey tea is always enjoyable

Written Sunday 5 October 2008:

Soon it’s time to leave…

It is getting seriously close to the day of departure. Two days now. Less really as I am writing this on Sunday evening and I leave Tuesday morning. Butterflies are fluttering around in my stomach. I am excited, but also I can feel that change and travel are not my favourite things in the world. I do see God’s goodness even now. A good friend of mine is going to pick me up at the airport, which makes me feel so blessed! It feels like I’m coming to something familiar.

The “leaving” activities have taken place. On Thursday I met up with some friends for our customary “Macao” dessert at a restaurant called Phileas Fogg in Stavanger. This particular dessert is a chocolate fondant with ice cream and it’s delicious, if quite rich. In all honesty, as much as we do love the dessert, it’s most of all an excuse to meet up and it was great to see them and have a final meet-up before I move away again.

Today I had my last time in church before leaving, and I had the opportunity to share a bit in the service about what I’m heading off to now. It was nice to be able to share and also be sent out with a blessing.

And this afternoon we celebrated my niece’s first birthday. Her real birthday is tomorrow, but it was celebrated in style today. She is such a cutie, and as always was the centre of everyone’s attention. I am glad to see her again tomorrow when I head out for lunch with my mum, sister-in-law, and of course wee Miriam. Hopefully shopping and lunch will motivate me to get my packing done in an efficient manner in the morning (although I wouldn’t be surprised if I ended up packing in the evening as well).
It is very strange to think that on Wednesday when I wake up I’ll be in Kansas City again, ready to get started on what lies ahead. It’s strange to think that this that I have been waiting for and working towards for so long is actually becoming real. Now I just need to keep leaving everything in God’s hands and take things one step at a time. It seems to be the best strategy. But before getting there I do have a long journey ahead of me, and will have ample opportunity to get to know the airports in Copenhagen and Chicago well. I guess it’s better then having to run from gate to gate and have the pressure of potentially missing flights should I have delays.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o