Skip to main content

Off we go again…

I was right in my assumption that I would not make my flight last night. It was a bit touch and go as it seemed like it would be possible, but then it wasn’t. I was a bit miffed as it would have been so nice to get to Kansas City and not have to travel for another morning. But then again, I was pretty exhausted so it was ok to be able to go to bed instead of getting on another flight. Still, for those of you who know me and how much I enjoy nice hotels, it wasn’t the same enjoyment when I really just wanted to be finished with my travelling.

Getting through customs and immigration was painless to say the least. As I apologised for the lack of much voice they all kindly processed me (or my documents) without much talking for which I was thankful. It’s strange how dependant I really am on my voice. On the plane it was really challenging to be able to even express what I wanted to drink when asked. And the poor guy next to me seemed to be in quite a chatty mood, but he soon discovered that any attempt at conversation was responded to by a polite smile.

The hotel was nice though, and I got some nachos for dinner with my food voucher. I had forgotten how big the portions are here though, and when I’d eaten what I could it still looked like I’d merely nibbled at the mountain of food. For breakfast I did enjoy French toast with syrup and yoghurt with fresh blueberries and strawberries (they seemed fresh, but might have been freshly defrosted).

I got to sleep around 10:30 pm, but when it got to around 3 am I started waking up. At first I thought it strange that I would be rested, but then it dawned on me that it was more a case of jetlag then anything else. Pleased to realise that my voice was coming back I snoozed for a few hours before I got up at 5am. As I enjoyed the hot shower I remembered with a smile how it was such a luxury to have hot water when I lived in Brazil and that the highlight when I was staying in a hotel (which was not very often) would be the warm showers. It’s funny how little things can mean so much.

So now I am sat at gate C32 at Chicago airport. I am so looking forward to getting to Kansas City and seeing my friends again and get to the prayer room. And I am glad I am feeling better! I don’t think I can sing quite yet, but it’s actually possible to make myself understood when I speak to someone now which is a great joy! I must remember to be thankful for the little things.

Next time I write, and in fact when I get this entry posted (internet here is charged for so I’ll wait for the free internet) I’ll be in Kansas City. I am excited and wonder what it’ll all be like. One thing is for sure: I’ll soon find out!

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o