Skip to main content

The reality and the brokenness- tapping into the heart of the city.

My heart is so struck by the brokenness and desperation of this world. I just got back from bowling with a bunch of people from my prophecy teams. My hair and clothes stink of smoke (which is really strange, haven’t had that for years as smoking in public places is illegal in Norway and even the UK now), and I feel a sobriety (I am not sure that’s the right word, but I suppose what I want to say is that I feel like I’ve had my eyes opened again to a bit of what reality here in Missouri is in a sense).

My heart feels heavy. Not from the bowling time in itself, because it was a good bonding time, but from being around people who are enjoying themselves bowling and drinking and laughing loudly (I’m talking about the other people in the bowling alley, not the people I went with), yet seeing their whole composure portraying another reality then the one they are attempting to express. Laughter doesn’t always mean joy. It can also mean a desperate attempt to encounter that feeling of joy, which they so long for, yet cannot find, lost in the emptiness and hopelessness this world brings us. The lane next to us had a group of people who were getting more and more drunk and who were very loud, and maybe to some, apparently having a good time. Yet thinking about them my heart is burdened for them and longing for them to encounter something so much bigger and greater, to encounter Truth and love and the peace which passes understanding. I have no idea who they are, or even where there from and where they’re headed in life, but I know that it’s a dark road they are walking on, and that when they’re alone and have to face the issues of life with nothing to remove the pain, it’s tough. I mean life can get pretty tough walking with Jesus…imagine facing it without Him.

Driving back from the bowling alley it was dark and we were on the highway. There is something about the atmosphere of a city at night that just gets to my heart. It’s like the true heart of a city is revealed in a way you can’t catch during the day in the midst of the hustle and bustle which so easily drains out the sounds of it’s heartbeat. Night is a different story. At night things quiet down and a rawness is revealed. As we were driving along a friend of mine pointed out that where we’d been bowling is the area where there is the highest percentage of child molesters in the state. It struck my heart and I felt so desperate. Desperate for the children who are suffering, so many in silence; unknown and unnoticed. Desperate for those committing these horrendous crimes to encounter truth that transforms them.

I sat looking out the window as we sped by restaurants and billboards. One had a picture of a girl who is missing and the text “if anyone has any information about…”. I cannot even try to imagine how it must feel to be her parents who every day wonder if this will be the day their little girl is brought back to them, or if it’ll be the day that they get the phone call telling them that something really bad has happened. What are their lives like, if it can be called “life” living in that kind of uncertainty? At the same time I noticed places like “freedom bikes” and “candlelight apartments” and this one place with the motto “dream, dare, discover”- what do these names say about peoples’ hearts and longings in this city? There is something in each one of the people here that longs for something better. There is a tiny flicker of hope, no matter how small it is, that maybe, just maybe life is more then what they are living. Except in those who have given up hope.

And so my heart feels heavy. Heavy, feeling some of what the darkness in this city carries. And I am grateful. Being in the place of such bright, shining light there is at IHOP-KC it is good to have my eyes opened to the darkness that covers so much of this region. Good to see what this place is really like so that I can go back and ask Jesus for the light to spread and shine and transform. Transform not just something and someone I cannot relate to, but transform real people in real desperation, knowing that Jesus can and wants to do it.

This is what is on my heart as I’m sat here. I want to remember it, so that’s why I’ve written it down. I need to be reminded when it’s been a while and the smell of smoke has been removed from clothes and hair and the sound of the laughter of the people in the bowling alley has become distant. Then I want to be able to come back and read this and be reminded of what the heart of the city feels like, and carry that heart together with Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o