Skip to main content

Loving the ladies.

Sunday 2 October 2011

Today I want to write about today. Today my heart was moved by God’s heart. Moved with God’s heart for the women who live in prostitution here in Belo Horizonte (BH). I’m here for a week and today I participated in a lunch for the ladies which is organized by a team in the city. It really impacted my heart. The past years my eyes and heart have been opened in a greater degree to the lives women in prostitution lead and a desire to speak value and dignity to them and see them encounter the love of Jesus.

The past few days the team had been going out with invitations to lunch today, and so today we went along again, divided into teams, to visit the ladies and invite them (or remind those who were already invited). Here in BH one of the areas of prostitution has many “hotels” where the ladies rent rooms and the men come to them to “buy their services”. The buildings have doormen and it’s a very organized establishment. It really impacted me to enter these building with narrow staircases, and men coming and going. As we entered in we’d hand out invitations to the ladies whose rooms were open and invite them and tell them how valuable they are. Many of them had already been invited, and quite a lot of them affirmed that “yes” they were coming!

One lady who looked older was very open and seemed happy and excited about the lunch. She commented on my hair and said I was beautiful, and I responded by giving her a hug, looking her in the eyes and telling her that she too is so beautiful!

As we were in the buildings inviting the ladies the men caught my attention and it just broke my heart to see the vacant, dead looks in their eyes. My heart was stirred not just for the ladies, but also the men. They are so broken and in need of restoration too!

After inviting the ladies we went back to small indoor shopping gallery where the lunch was to be held in the food court. We sat around and chatted (I had an “açaí na tigela” which is absolutely delicious. It’s the pulp of the açaí berry blended with banana and with granola and nuts on top. It’s just the best!), waiting for the ladies to come. And little by little they started coming in and as they’d come they were greeted and sat at the tables. It was so nice to see the conversations happening and the love and care that was showered on these ladies. I sat down with a lady who was so shy. She was a bit older and it was a lot of work to keep a conversation going, but by the end of it, it felt like we’d connected a little bit at least. I told her about the care of God and how He cares about her dream to work as a hairdresser, and I got to pray for her which was really special.

Another really awesome part was the raffle where each lady was given a number and then there was a raffle. It was so beautiful to see the joy in the faces of the ladies who won as they came forward to receive their gift and get a good, loving hug as well. Of course there were enough gifts for each lady and it made my heart so joyful to see it!

As it was ending I saw the lady I’d called beautiful, and she came over and gave me a huge hug. She introduced me to her friend as “the girl who called me beautiful.” It’s amazing how much of an impact a simple word of encouragement can make.

Another day I’ll write about the other days here, but right now I just want to dwell on God’s beautiful and amazing heart for these women, and pray that the ladies I spoke to will hear their heavenly Father also say to them, “You are beautiful.”

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o