Skip to main content

Oh, how I love the city!

I ended up getting the bus into Fortaleza this afternoon. It was a chilled hour-long bus ride and some of roads we took brought back memories of the 13 years I have known this city. I remember back in 1998 when I would take the bus into town with my “Year For God” team and we’d get off the bus at Avenida Domigos Olimpios and walk up to “Igreja Coraçāo de Jesus” which was our point of reference. And I remember how the city centre at that time seemed so big and confusing, where now it doesn’t seem big or confusing. I love this city.

I got off the bus at Rua Assunçāo and walked to “Darling” one of the (many) beauty salons in the city. Brazil is the place to get cheap manicures and pedicures. I went in and had my nails done while thinking about how great it is to be in a place where taking care of oneself is valued in a different way than in Europe. Here no-one thinks it’s a waste of time or money to have your nails done. It’s almost like it’s a natural part of life. And it’s so relaxing. And I remembered how it was one of the few things that helped me look out for myself when I lived here. My theory was that if I wasn’t able to take one hour every two weeks to do my nails I was way too busy. As I was paying at the salon I met a friend who volunteered at “Casa de Meu Pai” (My Father’s House, the street kid project I worked with) which was also lovely. Nice to be remembered after so many years.

From there I walked into the core of the city centre. I felt such peace, even if it was busy with people and cars and life everywhere. I love the city! The smells, the people on their way somewhere or nowhere, street vendors everywhere selling everything from corn on the cob and chips, to cell phones, handbags, toys, underwear, fruit, tapioca, cashew nuts… you can get anything in the city of Fortaleza if you know where to look. Walking along I recognized shops I used to shop in, street names, and noticed new shops and even small shopping malls along the way as I strolled along.

At “Dudas” (a bakery/snack bar) I stopped and got a rosca da canela which is kind of like a cinnamon doughnut. Very nice and yet another thing I can tick of my list of things I wanted to do and eat while here. I got a little bit confused with where the streets were going and ended up at Praça José de Alencar and was amazed at how nice it looked and how peaceful it is. I wanted to stop and take it all in, but still had a few errands to complete before closing time.

In a little gallery I found and old man with a small wooden table who fixed watches and sharpened scissors and things like that. I gave him my “alicate” (special scissors used when doing pedicures) to sharpen. As I was stood there waiting some kind of demonstration passed by on the streets and of course everyone was looking and commenting. I love how the Brazilians so often are so blatant about these kinds of things. Where I usually will discreetly look or even pretend to not notice, on many occasions the culture is to stop and just stare. Sometimes it can seem maybe rude or even unpleasant, but in a sense it’s so honest. Anyways, the demonstration got many stares, which probably was the purpose it to start with. It was practically over when the little old man was done with my alicate so I never did find out what it was all about.

From the little old man I headed to what I call “Bible street”, which is this little gallery with probably like 10 Christian bookshops in it. Sometimes it gets very overwhelming to enter them as the people who work there are incredibly friendly, and for an introverted Norwegian it can get a bit much. (Although I do appreciate the heart behind the friendliness.) Today it was refreshingly different. I choose to enter one of the smaller bookshops and told the lady what I was looking for, and was in and out of the shop in about 15 minutes which is not bad.

I was meeting a friend of mine at 5:30pm, and with a little while to spare I popped into a little snack place and had an acerola juice. It was so good and refreshing. Sitting at that counter in that little typical Brazilian snack bar, on an old wooden stool, drinking my juice from an old fashioned glass cup with a straw I felt so at peace. Like I was feeling at “home” again. It all felt so “normal” and right. I love the city.

I headed over to the theater where I was meeting my friend, and as I stood there waiting I rested in the peace I was feeling and just looked at people. The heavily pregnant lady rushing ahead holding the little boy by his hand. The short guy looking after parked cars. The chubby young man who was singing his heart out as he pushed a wooden cart around. The cart was blasting some music I think he was selling the CD of coz the cart was covered in CDs. People living lives in the city. Some rushing along, others more at ease. Each with a live they’re living. Each with joys and struggles.

I found myself searching as I looked. Searching for familiar faces. Looking for an older version of a boy or girl I’d once known on the streets. Hoping to find them, yet not. Hoping to hear one of them say “tia Elisabeth” and come up to me unrecognizable because they are doing so well. Hoping and feeling God’s heart. Even if I’m not working with the street people anymore, God is always at work. And even if I am starting to forget some of them, He never forgets and never will forget them.

As I saw my friend arriving I quickly tried to record in my mind my thoughts and reflections. And as I walked to meet her I took a last glace at the city and thanked God for allowing me to come back and see and feel it again. See and feel the peace and the life of the city. And be reminded of His heart for this city. Because at the end of the day it’s not really about the city in itself. It’s about the people. Because a city is it’s people and God loves the people of this city. And so do I.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o