Skip to main content

It’s good and right...reflecting.

I’m sat here in the living room at my parent’s house. Everyone has gone to bed and I am sat in the cosy living room surrounded by Christmas decorations and a lovely Christmas tree lighting up the room. It’s so nice to be home at Christmas. Too bad the snow that appeared a couple of days ago, melted away almost as quickly as it came, and today it’s been quite rainy and mild.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. I love Christmas coz I get to remember Jesus coming to earth. And I get to spend quality time with family. I am amazed at how much time seems to fill just 3 days of celebrating. Tuesday seems ages away, and yet it’s only, well, 4 days till.

And Tuesday I get on a plane and fly off to Kansas City for 3 weeks. Really looking forward to it. Excited to see friends again. Excited to go to the prayer room. Excited to have some time to just be refreshed and listen to God. Excited to go to the Abolition Summit. And excited for some time to just dial down and “be”. Hopefully I’ll manage to calm the traffic in my mind and find the peace of God to guard it.

It’s good and right...

My week and a bit in Amsterdam went really well. I guess I left my last post not on the most positive note, but that’s what you get from getting up at four in the morning and lobbing a ton of luggage to a different country. Arriving in Amsterdam, well at the YWAM base, was lovely. I got into my room in hospitality and just felt peace. In true YWAM fashion my room had a little welcome basket with a lovely note in it, and I had clean bedding on my bed and fresh towels.

From then on I felt literally embraced by those I’d met before. I got so many lovely hugs and welcomes it made me feel so loved and accepted. It’s amazing how people I barely know already start to feel a bit like a family away from home...

My first days, and actually the rest of my time really, felt a little bit crazy schedule-wise, as I was trying to fit in meetings with a vast array of people, and on several occasions found myself rushing to get to my next appointment. Note to self: don’t plan too many meetings in one day and pace yourself. It’s easy to get busy in Amsterdam. Even as I walked around the city with no time restraints I found myself rushing. It was an interesting observation. Well, I guess the question would be whether I was actually rushing, or just flowing with the people traffic?

So Amsterdam was good. I was so glad to have gone down for that short time. It was so worth it. I look to moving there with excitement and peace. Excitement to walk in what is in my heart and be a part of brining Light to that city and people. Peace that I am in the right place. It’s so good to rest in God’s peace.

And I kept feeling God say: “It’s good and it’s right to be in Amsterdam”. And I agree. It’s good and right that I will be moving to Amsterdam.

But moving will be end of January. Before that there’s Kansas City. And oh, of course, Christmas- which is tomorrow already. I’d better get some sleep.

Did I mention that I love Christmas?

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o