Skip to main content

Abiding in Jesus has to be the key.

Three days in and it’s been a bit of a whirlwind coming back. In many ways it’s been easier than I thought it would be, but I know that culture shock has yet to hit me and that there are going to be tough adapting times ahead. But I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now it’s good that it doesn’t feel so hard. Although I am already feeling “rushed”. Somehow the past days have just gone and I really want to have time to really be aware of life and the people I’m connecting with and Jesus as I go through the days.

I’ve been reading John 15 a lot the last months. And one thing that really struck me was the verse where it says to abide in Him but that He also abides in me. And the realisation that He is so close. And that He is always available, which is kind of obvious, but I want to be more aware of the reality of that. That He is actually really present with me at all times and that I can ask Him questions and communicate with Him even when I’m on the go. This morning I read 1 Corinthians 2 where it talked about the hidden wisdom of God. I want wisdom. I need wisdom. I ask for wisdom and I know God gives me abundant wisdom!

It’s been good to reflect on these things. And I am asking for wisdom especially with my time as I’m starting work here and making a schedule. Asking that I would know when to do what and how to get everything done. Leading the Shine Seminar is such a privilege and joy and I have such a great team working with me in preparing it, yet there is a seemingly endless list of things to think about and do, and I need to be disciplined to not let Shine invade all day every day of my week. It’s a good opportunity to manage time well and really trust God to help me do what I need to do in the time I’m meant to do it. I want to rely on Him even in the practical. Trust that even when I do schedule in time to be in the Tabernacle (the house of prayer), that He will provide time to do all the other things that need to get done. I think my conclusion to myself as I’m processing and writing this (mostly for myself) is that making a schedule is good, and making it prayerfully, including God in it, is even better.

On a more practical note I’ve managed to join the gym and it’s so much fun. I only went once so far, for an instruction session yesterday. For some reason (don’t ask me why) I kind of thought the instructor would just show us how to use the different machines, I didn’t really think I’d be doing too much. Well, I can definitely feel the muscles I haven’t used for a while today. But it’s good coz it means I now can branch out a little bit from my classes-only policy. I’m still set on doing the classes mostly, but this could be good too.

And it’s so cold right now. Many many many degrees below freezing (something like -8) today and it’s going to get colder. It’s better than rain, but maybe a tad cold.

Not much more to write right now I think. I’m sat in my living room. To my right I can see the clock on the Oude Kerk illuminated at almost 7:15pm. A beautiful bouquet of mixed flowers are on the coffee table and on the dining table some beautiful red tulips. I’m home alone and enjoying listening to the IHOP-KC webstream and some time to just “be”. I was going to go to a class this evening at the gym, but I think I might just stay home.

Stay at home and enjoy the calmness of the evening.

Stay at home and be aware of life and this new place that I will end up calling “home”.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o