Skip to main content

What to do when you can’t sleep?

It’s nearing midnight and I just can’t seem to get to sleep. Maybe (just maybe) it has something to do with several very large cups of tea I’ve had this evening. But maybe not. I don’t know why, but I know I am not sleepy at all.

I guess I might as well write a wee update on my blog. Maybe reading my own words will tire me out. And I’ve put on some soaking music which is very soothing also.

Well it’s been a good, though also challenging week. Culture shock is starting to hit and I had several moments of feeling really overwhelmed. It’s challenging to be in a new city. And although I have so many lovely people around me, I still feel very new to this place. So many different details I don’t know that I didn’t know I needed to know. And although I’m living right in the middle of the city and don’t ever need to travel very far, everything seems to take so much longer than I anticipate. But I’ll get used to it. Trying to make good buffers as I plan my time and trying to give myself grace.

But with the challenges there have also been many good moments this week. I walked on the frozen canals, got my bank account and registered in the city (I now officially live in Amsterdam), went to the Dopper market, and had a roast chicken dinner with friends.

On Wednesday evening I did “ladies ministry” which was really good. It’s good to connect with God’s heart and really get a sense of what I’m working unto. Unto seeing women and children knowing who God is and being restored and set free to be all God created them to be.

And I have experienced God’s goodness towards me. The room I’ve moved into is unfurnished, and so far I’ve been sleeping on a travel bed. Well, I was getting quite sad by the prospect of trying to get furniture. It seemed like such a huge task, not just getting the furniture, but also managing to get it transported to where I live. Amsterdam is not a very car-friendly city (bike-friendly, yes. Car-friendly- no). Add that to feeling really insecure and new and missing the familiar, it was a bit hard (all part of transition, and I knew it was mostly that, not the situation in itself). On Saturday morning I was just telling God how I felt and how I was finding it really challenging. I finish praying and go into the kitchen, and there my housemate tells me that some friends of hers have all the furniture I need for my room, and they will bring it here to me. I almost cried. God is so good and I love how He is providing everything I need! I am so grateful.

So as I walk through this season and try to figure out life as it is right now, I try to remember that it’s all about staying close to Jesus. That with Him it’ll all work out. That with Him I have everything I need. And with Him I am able to do everything He has called me to do in this city.

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the 17th of May. But for any Norwegian, this particular date isn't like any other date in the year, it's the 4th of July of Norway. And this year I am actually here. However, some preparations had to be done to get ready for tomorrow. One was getting my national costume down from the loft. I got it a few days ago and tried it on. It's a wee bit tight, but I think it'll be fine. This evening I ironed (or rather started ironing) the blouse which is hand embroydered and made of linnen (so those of you who have a clue about fabrics, know that linnen is the opposite of no-crease material). And the second part of the preparation was polishing the silver. I tried the "foil-in-hot-water-with-salt" method, but I don't think it worked too well. I did a bit of polishing with toothpaste after that and it looks alright. At the end of the day I'm the only one who will notice the level of polishedness of my silver. I have also got my camera on charging re...

At a crossroads yet again.

This evening feelings of weariness flood my soul. Weary of not knowing. Weary of choosing to trust. Weary of waiting. Weary of walking yet not knowing what I am walking in or towards. Weary of figuring out life on my own. This past month the reality of crossroads in life has hit me yet again. I knew it was coming, but suddenly it was there and I just had to go with it. There’s not much more I can do...except waiting and trusting and choosing. Choosing to let God be the One who guides and fights and prepares the path before me. My crossroads is “do I stay or do I go”? From Kansas City and IHOP-KC. In October I’ll have been here two years, which feels like 5 years and at the same time 6 months. In December I go home for Christmas. It’ll have been a year since last time and I’ll be seeing my niece who’ll be 3 instead of 2 years old, and my little nephew who will be 1 year already, and I’ll get to meet little Julie who is only three weeks old as I write this. She’ll be 4 months when I meet...

On the move again...

As I walked wheeling the trolley containing two suitcases and a rucksack (belonging to my middle brother who has bought himself a new one) I felt tears stinging in my eyes and threatening to push their way out. I suddenly felt so very small and the airport so very big. I’d got off my 45 minute flight from Sola to Oslo, got my bags from the baggage claim (the airline I flew with lets you decide how many bags of luggage you want to take against a small fee, and so I was able to bring not one suitcase weighing 20 kilos, but a suitcase and a rucksack), bought my train ticket for the last leg of my journey, and was walking along in search of a cup of coffee and a waffle to kill the half hour till the train. Walking along I caught myself thinking about this new stage in life. I wondered why this move up to the YWAM base here in Norway seemed so huge, when moving to Brazil obviously was a bigger move, at least further away. And then it occurred to me that when I’d been travelling back and for...