Skip to main content

What to do when you can’t sleep?

It’s nearing midnight and I just can’t seem to get to sleep. Maybe (just maybe) it has something to do with several very large cups of tea I’ve had this evening. But maybe not. I don’t know why, but I know I am not sleepy at all.

I guess I might as well write a wee update on my blog. Maybe reading my own words will tire me out. And I’ve put on some soaking music which is very soothing also.

Well it’s been a good, though also challenging week. Culture shock is starting to hit and I had several moments of feeling really overwhelmed. It’s challenging to be in a new city. And although I have so many lovely people around me, I still feel very new to this place. So many different details I don’t know that I didn’t know I needed to know. And although I’m living right in the middle of the city and don’t ever need to travel very far, everything seems to take so much longer than I anticipate. But I’ll get used to it. Trying to make good buffers as I plan my time and trying to give myself grace.

But with the challenges there have also been many good moments this week. I walked on the frozen canals, got my bank account and registered in the city (I now officially live in Amsterdam), went to the Dopper market, and had a roast chicken dinner with friends.

On Wednesday evening I did “ladies ministry” which was really good. It’s good to connect with God’s heart and really get a sense of what I’m working unto. Unto seeing women and children knowing who God is and being restored and set free to be all God created them to be.

And I have experienced God’s goodness towards me. The room I’ve moved into is unfurnished, and so far I’ve been sleeping on a travel bed. Well, I was getting quite sad by the prospect of trying to get furniture. It seemed like such a huge task, not just getting the furniture, but also managing to get it transported to where I live. Amsterdam is not a very car-friendly city (bike-friendly, yes. Car-friendly- no). Add that to feeling really insecure and new and missing the familiar, it was a bit hard (all part of transition, and I knew it was mostly that, not the situation in itself). On Saturday morning I was just telling God how I felt and how I was finding it really challenging. I finish praying and go into the kitchen, and there my housemate tells me that some friends of hers have all the furniture I need for my room, and they will bring it here to me. I almost cried. God is so good and I love how He is providing everything I need! I am so grateful.

So as I walk through this season and try to figure out life as it is right now, I try to remember that it’s all about staying close to Jesus. That with Him it’ll all work out. That with Him I have everything I need. And with Him I am able to do everything He has called me to do in this city.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o