Skip to main content

The joy of living with light burdens.

The swans were making their way down the canal at dusk the other day. It was such a contrast to the dirty canal water and noisy Red Light District getting ready for the night. The swans floated along with a posture of dignity and purity. Heads held high, seemingly unaffected by the noise and atmosphere of their surroundings. Watching them I felt such peace and a reminder of a perfect Creator who truly creates beauty and sees beauty in the darkest of places.

I’m sat in my living room writing. Outside it’s now dark and I’ve put the stove on to heat up a cheese sandwich from yesterday. It’s still relatively early, yet tomorrow morning I have to be at the airport at 6 am to pick up a student for Shine Seminar. It’s really happening! I can’t believe that on Thursday we start what seems to have been in the planning for so long. It’ll be good to get started with the Seminar. I am so expectant for all that is going to happen and seeing staff and students alike being impacted once again by the heart of God for the issues of injustice.

So many things I could write about....

The other week doing Women’s ministry I had a really impacting chat with one of the ladies in a mixture of Portuguese and Spanish with some English throw in here and there. It was a divine connection, a moment of an open heart and words of love, hope and grace spoken. I pray for her to get a deep revelation of Jesus’ love and kindness that will draw her in, and His truth that sets free.

I spoke to the youth about loving others, and found myself so challenged to love better. It was such a privilege to see a group of young people going hard after God and hearing feedback of my life having touched theirs. It reminded me that every day we are creating a testimony with Jesus which we are to share. One of the things I shared was about when I was in Brazil visiting the brothels inviting the ladies to a special lunch. In one brothel the lady was saying how beautiful I was, and I looked her in the eyes and said that she was so beautiful also. At the end of the lunch I saw her, and when I went over she introduced me to her friend as “the girl who said I was beautiful”. The power of a simple word. A word seemingly in passing, yet a word that profoundly impacted that lady’s heart. That is loving our neighbours. Speaking truth and life.

I’ve cycled once so far. Quite scary, but so far so good (I managed to avoid hitting the tourists).. And I sat on the back of my friend Rosanne’s bike once which was a lot more scary, but less work. I was amazed at how she just kept going even with the extra weight of me on the back. Once I got over how scary it was it was actually quite an enjoyable experience.

I became a member of the cinema yesterday. It’s an amazing deal; 19€ a month and you can go to as many films as you like on all the Pathe cinemas in the country. Seeing as one film costs around 10€ it’s a bargain. And it reminded me of my teenage years when I would go to the cinema every week and have the discount card. It feels like it’s been years since I’ve really had the opportunity to see films like I used to, and now I can, and I don’t have to worry about the huge cost of it. It’s so much better to watch a film I choose to see rather than watch whatever is on TV. It makes it more of a planned event, as well as something I enjoy that brings me life. I’m excited. I just need to make sure to keep a good balance in my life.

Exercise... I am so enjoying going to the gym. Not so much the circular training, but I so enjoy the classes and it feels good to get back into shape. It’s also a good way to learn at least a bit of Dutch. I’m at the point where I am trying to understand what the instructor is saying. Most of the time I don’t get it, but I’m starting to pick up more and more like “rechts” “links”, which means “right” and “left”. Not too profound, but I have to start somewhere.

Life and living... life is good. Some days I find myself carrying such heavy burdens in my heart. Trying to figure out so many details and situations related to Shine and YWAM, and it weighs me down. And then I feel Jesus whisper “My burden is light, let me carry yours.” And when I choose to take the invitation, things get into perspective and I realise that my responsibility is to be faithful and do my best, but that He will carry the weight of it. And that is so freeing. There is joy in the labouring with Him. There is joy in working hard to see Shine happen. There is joy in the endless emails and details to work out. There is joy in joining with the staff team to figure out how to do this thing. Joy, because at the end of the day it doesn’t depend on us. We are invited to depend on Him, walk as friends and not servants, and let Him do what He does so well.

And it’s in this joy and the peace of Christ that I write this. Joy of being alive and joy of walking with Him here in Amsterdam.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o