Skip to main content

Breathtaking.


Tekoe is a tea shop at the airport in Geneva. I just landed and am having a wee cup of Earl Grey while waiting for my good friend Faith to arrive. I also got a croissant with tea extract which in my opinion is more of an interesting idea than anything  very extraordinary. It had some dark bits in it but apart from that it was pretty much a regular croissant, the good kind. Switzerland. Different language and currency. Not as many tall blond people around, and even at the airport it feels more chilled. I don't know how much I'll get to see and take in in just a weekend, but it's cool to be here.  As the plane was landing I saw mountains and it brought a moment of joy to my Norwegian heart that is usually surrounded by a vey flat Holland where finding even a hill is unusual. It is good for cycling of course, something I'm getting more skilled at in the sense of navigating around confuse tourists and I haven't hit anyone properly yet (and hope I never will). I was very tempted to take a whole bunch of photos through a slightly dirty train window as I travelled from Geneva to Bern, but I kept reminding myself that I would probably have ample opportunity to take much better ones later on. On arrival in Bern we were picked up by the lovely couple soon to be married, and our trek to the  car took us past a number of significant sights like the government building and bear park. Of course all well photographed and documented. The drive to the place we are staying was deep in the Swiss countryside (although I guess there is a limit to how deep you can get in a country this size). Along windy roads it seemed each scenic view was more spectacular than the last, and even with rain hitting the windscreen it made me in awe of the  beauty of creation. Sitting here on the veranda with fields and mountains in my view, I find it's almost breathtaking, and I can't help but worship my Creator. It's so calm and yet so majestic. And as the clouds clear more and more I look forward to the full view which should emerge with good weather tomorrow. And my lungs are happy to be filled with fresh mountain air for a change. So here I am. Tomorrow will be a full day of celebration. But for right now I think I'll just sit here for a bit and let the peaceful sound of sheep bells clinging and cows mooing, and beauty and the fresh air refresh my soul.

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the 17th of May. But for any Norwegian, this particular date isn't like any other date in the year, it's the 4th of July of Norway. And this year I am actually here. However, some preparations had to be done to get ready for tomorrow. One was getting my national costume down from the loft. I got it a few days ago and tried it on. It's a wee bit tight, but I think it'll be fine. This evening I ironed (or rather started ironing) the blouse which is hand embroydered and made of linnen (so those of you who have a clue about fabrics, know that linnen is the opposite of no-crease material). And the second part of the preparation was polishing the silver. I tried the "foil-in-hot-water-with-salt" method, but I don't think it worked too well. I did a bit of polishing with toothpaste after that and it looks alright. At the end of the day I'm the only one who will notice the level of polishedness of my silver. I have also got my camera on charging re...

At a crossroads yet again.

This evening feelings of weariness flood my soul. Weary of not knowing. Weary of choosing to trust. Weary of waiting. Weary of walking yet not knowing what I am walking in or towards. Weary of figuring out life on my own. This past month the reality of crossroads in life has hit me yet again. I knew it was coming, but suddenly it was there and I just had to go with it. There’s not much more I can do...except waiting and trusting and choosing. Choosing to let God be the One who guides and fights and prepares the path before me. My crossroads is “do I stay or do I go”? From Kansas City and IHOP-KC. In October I’ll have been here two years, which feels like 5 years and at the same time 6 months. In December I go home for Christmas. It’ll have been a year since last time and I’ll be seeing my niece who’ll be 3 instead of 2 years old, and my little nephew who will be 1 year already, and I’ll get to meet little Julie who is only three weeks old as I write this. She’ll be 4 months when I meet...

On the move again...

As I walked wheeling the trolley containing two suitcases and a rucksack (belonging to my middle brother who has bought himself a new one) I felt tears stinging in my eyes and threatening to push their way out. I suddenly felt so very small and the airport so very big. I’d got off my 45 minute flight from Sola to Oslo, got my bags from the baggage claim (the airline I flew with lets you decide how many bags of luggage you want to take against a small fee, and so I was able to bring not one suitcase weighing 20 kilos, but a suitcase and a rucksack), bought my train ticket for the last leg of my journey, and was walking along in search of a cup of coffee and a waffle to kill the half hour till the train. Walking along I caught myself thinking about this new stage in life. I wondered why this move up to the YWAM base here in Norway seemed so huge, when moving to Brazil obviously was a bigger move, at least further away. And then it occurred to me that when I’d been travelling back and for...